My 3 year old son doesn't sleep through the night
Hello. I have a huge problem, my 3 year old son hasn't slept through the night since he was 18 months old. He has suffered with ear infections which I know can keep you awake however, when his ears are not hurting him, he is a very happy and active child and very well stimulated during the day. He sometimes has a nap during the day for an hour but no later than 1 pm. Then he goes to bed between 8-9pm in his own room where a story is read to him and he falls asleep. Then between 1-2 am he wakes up crying and asking for me. I'm going to him and settling him back down but an hour later, he's awake again! I've tried so called " controlled crying" which I think is a complete waste of time! It doesn't work! I've also tried the "Mirium Stoppard" theory of waking him before he is due to wake up and settle him down again! He eats well, drinks well. I've put it down to night terrors but can a child get night terrors every night for 2 whole years? How can I stop this madness without giving him a sedative! xx
First stop the day time napping Ihe may not need it now,,It is a habit he has got into to so the habit needs to be broken, maybe he isnt tired enough does he get plenty of daytime games and stimulation. Its tough but by going in to him in the night  you are enabling the behavior, you may have to let him call for you, just call back its okay go back to sleep, if you go in he knows thats what will happen, ,but if you stick it out he will get fed up when it isnt working. There is a book out there called SOS Help for Parents ' by Lynn Clark, you may find some help  there. Good Luck