Child Behavior Community
My 4 Year Old Son Playing Too Rough and Not Listening

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

I have 3 older daughters and one 4 yr old boy in preschool.  We’ve been told by the teacher that some of the kids are afraid to play with our son because he is too rough and does not listen when told ‘no’.  Today is the worst day — he was playing and bit a boy in the arm.  He did not break the little boy’s skin but he left his teeth marks.  My husband was told by the teacher that our son is suspended for 1 day.  My husband, the girls and I give nothing but love and support and we ‘practice discipline’.  He is not a mean boy.

Please help.
How is he with understanding other's feelings? Most likely he does it out of frustration
Keep disciplining him- DO NOT let him hear that you do not like the suspension idea or anything negative about the school's choice of discipline- it will set up in his mind that he will be able to play you against the school- yes even at this young age.....

He needs to go to the child each and every time he is rough, serve a time out but most of all apologize and say something kind....

Biting seems worse  to daycare and preschool directors since there can be fluids exchanged- but Natta is right he is frustrated I imagine- even if he can't get the toy he wanted when he wanted it. Teach him he HAS to learn to use words, count to 10 when he is upset, just practice how he must react when he is frustrated. I know 3 year olds that have put themselves in a cooling off period because their parents taught them its not bad to need a time out- it actually helps to cool down....

I am sure he is a sweet boy
I have a 4 year old son and is very hyper. I have no issues with him as a father. He listens to me and he is very disciplied. But with his mother he acts too much of a baby. But we think thats just being a "Momma's Boy" thing. Which I understand. Although with school, he gets too hyper around other childrens and tends to grasp their throat, kick and pull hair. His teachers are thinking he may have the HDLC hyper thing. As for me I don't think he has that, otherwise he'll act very out of hand toward me.
With school that the teachers say makes me as afather very uncomfortable and I feel like taking him out of school. I know that does not fix the problem, and I dont think how he acts is a problem, I think that its just part of growning up. My question is  does anyone or any parent has other solutions that you can give to me and other parents and teacher?