Child Behavior Community
My 4 year old daughter masterbates?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My 4 year old daughter masterbates?

There are times that I go in her and she is under the covers touching herself. Sometimes she will rub herself on items. My main concern is that their are something I walk in and she has our dog rubbing herself on it. Is this normal? I am very worried. I know see hasnt' been molested. All the people that watch her is family. I know that they wouldn't do anything. Someone please help me. I don't know what to do.
I have heard the toddlers and children will sometimes masturbate if they feel untouched as in not enough physical contact like hugs and kisses, its based on how safe they feel and how valued they believe they are. Give her positive contact and it should lessen if not stop. If they feel loved and safe. reinforcing your love will show, so will your worry. It is normal for some kids to go through this phase, however, you may want to teach her that including the dog is a no no.
Could the behavior have been taught by a playmate? seen on Television, children do copy others as well.

I hope you get more answers, that is my limited knowledge on the topic.
good luck

good luck
Not something I share with people (ever)- but I feel that my experience may help you in this matter- Check again to see if she was molested. EVEN family members. Family members are actually more prone to sexually abuse each other, simply because the opportunity is present, and they are less likely to be suspected because we naturally trust our family. My own brother sexually abused myself and my three older sisters when we were children, from as early as I can remember- as young as 2 years old (maybe younger. i don't remember, fortunately). He was disowned by my parents when the abuse was discovered- when I was 4, he was 15. As a result of this abuse, and being confused- I also experimented with masturbation as a child. After extensive counseling and lots of love from my parents and sisters, and my fortune at having it happen to me so young- I was able to forget almost everything, and I consider myself a happy functional adult. but please, don't be blinded to what might be happening right under your nose. My older sisters were not as fortunate as I; their abuse went on much longer than mine did, and they remember *everything*. Also, my mother is still dealing with the tragedy of choosing between her children. No mother should have to go through that. I wish you the best, and hope that this is not the case for you. As long as I have autonomy at hand, I don't mind sharing my experience if it helps someone else.
Let me tell you that I went thru something like this with a little girl I babysat for years ago. She was 6 years old and I would sometimes find her in the bathroom on the toilet touching herself or telling her little brother to touch her there. It turns out she was molested by her stepfather. I know that it may be hard for you to accept that family may be involved in this but in today's world you have to have some malice type thoughts towards everyone. You never know who your family had around her or what people's thought patters or intentions are even in the best of families. You aren't there to supervise her all the time. She may have seen it or is mimiquing an action that she has experienced. There is a healthy level of curiosity in children when they discover their genitals, but it seems that this is an ongoing thing. I would speak with your pediatrician and have her looked at and then maybe schedule an appointment with a Child Psychologist to see if they can evaluate her. Either way, don't rule anything out. I've always lived by this motto: "Trust God, but lock your doors". Good luck hun.
Thank you for taking your time and your outlook on it. That does make it more clear.
I'm not sure i would necessarily say molestation-- yet.. I have 2 daughters 3 & 5 yrs old and they themselves hump there blankets or teddy bears and i try not to make them feel like it is wrong even though i dont like it.. but i also remember doing it myself as a young girl.. i would just get these feelings in my belly that now that i am a woman i realize are what we call hormones or horny.. i do not recall being messed with or molestede as a child but i do recall just having these feelings that would not stop or go away in my belly even when i tried to ignore them.... i have not talked to any proffesionals about this myself because it is a hard topic to broach but for now i just watch and observe if any other behaviors arise.I have also talked to my girls about there privates and that no one is supposed to touch them there so i dont think my girls have been touched either... and as far as your family i would not rule that out.. i was not messed with as a child but 2 of my sisters were and it was a grandfather and an uncle so sorry but you cant trust anybody anymore.. not even family...
I am not sure I believe your theory on "not being loved and not touched enough" Alaxeria. Not only me, but my husband, my parents and siblings, my husbands parents and siblings are constantly playing, cuddling and telling my daughter how much we all love her. Yet she still Masturbates day in and day out.   I have spoken to my doctor (who has NINE children) and she says its a very normal thing. We are to tell them to go to their room and do it in private. We should not punish them or yell at them for doing it.