Child Behavior Community
My 4 year old is still peeing her pants

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My 4 year old is still peeing her pants

My daughter will be 5 in October and is STILL peeing her pants. I have tried everything! She pees when she is playing with toys - so I have taken her toys away. She pees when she is playing outside so I have made her stay inside. She pees at night - I make her change her sheets and pee before she goes to bed. I have bribed her and disciplined her. I have had talks with her and I have been short with her. She says she gets it - she says she knows when she has to go. But some days go by where there is no issue with it and she goes with no problem. She will go 4 - 6 nights in a row without peeing then pee for 3 nights in a row. I just don't get it. I don't know what to do. It is embarrassing to take her places because she will pee. HELP!!! She is almost 5 and still peeing her pants!
First of all this isnt a problem where you punish as that makes her anxious and the problem could get worse, have you asked the Doctor to check if she has a urine infection, sometimes children do not wipe too well . Sometimes you have to start again, take a step back, put a cover under the sheet and then its a sheet to wash, but make no issue of it, I do know the more you react the more she will react , out of anxiety that she is going to do it.(if you get my drift) Make less of it ,a trip to the Doc would be a good idea , he will advise you.
I don't think she is choosing to pee herself. Like Margypops said - concequencing this behaviour could make it worse. Have you looked into medical issues prior to being short and disciplining her???  Perhaps she needs some patty training again...with some rewards or something. I think you should stop concequencing her immediately though. You have no idea if she has control over this or not. Imagine her own embarrassment when she will pee herself in front of her peers. This could lead to a more seriusl problem where her friends will make fun of her and she can't trust that her own parent will be supportive of this behaviour and there could be further harm done to your relationship with your daughter. I would seek medical attn. immediately.
I have had the same issues as Margypops...almost to the letter and I know that it can be very frustrating.  I have asked my health care provider to have my daughter referred to a Pediatric Urologist as well as a Peadiatrician.  We have started a "Potty Chart".  I placed it on the back of the bathroom door.  She helped me colour it and we went to the store and she picked out a few different types of stickers that she really liked.  Everytime she goes pee on her own or stays dry for a period of time....she gets a sticker.  Every 10 stickers she gets we go to the store and she gets a small treat.  Nothing big just a little positive reinforcement.  I know it can seem really tough not to get upset...but hang in there.