Child Behavior Expert Forum
My 4 year old killed our cat with a knife.

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

My son is 4 years old and has a happy home with 2 younger brothers and both parents who love him and want the world for him.  Yet he is constantly in trouble at school and is falling behind and then the other day he stabbed our cat in the side and killed her.  He cried for about 2 hours after b/c he saw that I was upset and he knew he was in trouble.  I asked him if he knew the knife would hurt her he said yes, but said he didn't do it the knife did.  I told him because of what he did our cat was going to die now and we will never see her again.  It didn't seem to matter to him.  Later that evening I over heard him talking to his younger brother who is 3 that he did it b/c she always runs away from him and he doesn't like her but he likes our other cat.  I asked if his brothers made him mad would he hurt his brothers and he said no only cats he hurts.  I think this thought came from us telling him that when he would play with his toy guns that we dont shoot people we shoot animals.  (now all toy guns have been taken away btw) I am stumped and I feel like I have failed my son as a parent.  I have made an apt to speak with his PCP.  I'm really concerned any advice would be appreciated.
You are doing the correct thing by planning to speak with the PCP. Beyond that, you should arrange (regardless of what the PCP says) an evaluation with a pediatric menatl health professional.