Child Behavior Community
My 4-yr old Boy
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

My 4-yr old Boy

I have a 4 yrs old boy, he jsut turned 4 last month. Starting last month, i consistantly heard his pre-school teachers complained about he did not coroperate during school nap time. He tried to wake up every other kids by making noises, kicking things he could reach even go wake up his friends. Just because he is not tired and did not want to lie down on his matt.
I have this trouble for making him nap for a long time. me and my husband tried to talk to him, timeout him and think of several way to reward him. Nothing works out!
Also, these couple weeks, he started to not to following teachers' instructions while others are doing dancing, exercise and singing. He walked around the class, even teachers tried to pull him back to circle area, he refused.  Only when teachers are doing more academic teaching or art actitivites, he will cooperate!
School director told me, my son is really really smart and knows everything he already learned. But this behavior problems do make them a bit headache. Now, they tried to put him to older class, give him more challenges to observe if he could be interesting in new environment.
I am confused, dont know what to deal with his nap problems and asks him to join the singing and dancing group activities.
Help! Help!
Related Discussions
-13 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Oh my goodness...you answered your own question...Your son is very bright and needs to be stimulated or he will find his own stimuli! Children will stimulate themselves (positive or negative) when the environment around them does not foster their needs. I have been a preschool teacher for 23 years, and yes, I have come across children like your son. You are paying plenty, Mom, and you need to insist they take on the responsibility of finding what interests him, what stimulates him and what will cause him to pay attention. He may hate dance and song. There is no crime in that. I don't dance either and I would be upset if someone humiliated me in front of my peers, making me feel like I am not as functional as they are because I will not dance. Think about it that way. You are his number one advocate. Ask them kindly to please provide him with academic activities during dance and ask him what makes him happy. I have found that the children themselves can solve their own behavior issues when I enter their world and create an environment that is rich with various interests and stimuli.  Good luck!
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Child Behavior Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank