Child Behavior Community
My 5 year old chews on everything
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

My 5 year old chews on everything

My five year old son chews on everything and is now getting in trouble in school because he cannot keep things out of his mouth.  Just today my husband received a phone call form the school concerned about my sons progress in school.  His teacher feels as though my son may be behind because he chews on thing (ex markers, pens, toys) instead of paying attention to what they are discussing.  My son has always chewed on things but at first we thought ' oh he is only two, two year olds chew on everything'  Now we are concerned because he just turned five and STILL chews on everything.  Any suggestions or resources?
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
This is an anxiety behaviour.  It does not mean that your son suffers from anxiety - perhaps he is of a nervous or cautious or sensitive nature.  Our son did this until he started high school - paper, pens, books, clothes, furniture, anything and everything.  It is a comforting behaviour for the child.  Will the school allow gum or some other chewable during class time?  I would suggest that you not draw too much attention to the behaviour but instead, try to substitute the "chewing" behaviour with another comforting habit.
Blank
313143_tn?1239386479
I realize your son is only five, but have you ever asked him why he feels inclined to chew on everything?  Perhaps it is simply a bad habit.

Another possibility is Sensory Integration Dysfunction.  If your son feels overstimulated by his environment, he may crave a certain sensory stimulation (such as chewing), that is in his control.  You also mentioned him having difficulty concentrating in class, this diagnosis can often be found in combination with Attention Deficit Disorder.

`Kestra
Blank
I teach kindergarten and of the 20 kids i have this year 6 of them chew on every thing. Pretty normal stuff for that age. Don't worry
Blank
so glad I found more information on this topic. My 3 year old daughter has this obsession with licking/chewing everything. Her latest object..... the case for my reading glasses. yuck!!! She loves fabric especially. Here I was thinking "what is wrong with my girl?" apparently it is very common. Thank you.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Child Behavior Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...