My 5 year old hears voices.. is she really?
My almost 5 year old daughter has informed me several times, the most recent time yesterday that she hears voices talking quietly in her head.  This last voice she explained was while she was at preschool and it quietly said, "Stupid".   I think previously it has said things like, "spongebob" or maybe sang a familiar song.
I know it sounds silly... but she very clearly described the voice as coming from her own head.  I have three children a 4 year old, her (5 years old) and a 7 year old.  All girls.  All very different.   I'm a single parent and have absolutely no experience with anything like this.. I don't really know what to tell her...
Like I said, she brought it up recently like she was a little worried.  I didn't know what to say.  I told her I believed her and asked her if she recognized the voice and asked her if maybe she was thinking the words so much that she kept thinking them and couldn't get them out of her head... and she said, "no mommy....  it's like the voice is in my head"  I told he to let me know if she hears the voices again.
She will be 5 in July.  Should I take her somewhere?  I mean, do I ask her every day if she heard any voices in her head today?  Do I ignore it until she brings it up again? What is normal?  
Children this age can hear a voice in their head; it is part of learning vocabulary.  I was so worried when my daughter had the same problem.  She is six and is perfectly normal and fine--top of her class. She has the normal voice we all have, but at first, it did scare her.

Don't worry.  I know I was so worried about it too.

Take Care.
Call her pediatrician.  Let the doctor know, and ask for an appointment just to check it out.  Let your doctor talk to her, and find out how she really feels.  Leave the room if it makes her more comfortable, but dont force the issue if it doesnt.  I would ask my ped. if it was normal, and if not, what you can do. I have never heard of, or experienced children hearing voices in their heads.  Although maybe it is her conscience, and she just is too young to recognize it.  But, if it bothers you, and her that much, I would definitely ask for an outside professional opinion.  It might be nothing, but if the two of you are that concerned about it, rather safe than sorry.
Thanks.  Thanks for answering.  I will mention it to the pediatrician and see what he thinks.  If he wants to see her.. then I will definitely bring her in.
Have a great day
My grandmother had schizophrenia and committed suicide so I was worried about my daughter; the doctor said she was developing normally.  After more research, I realized he was right--schizophrenia is not just about voices in one's head.  One also develops a flat affect among other things.

As parents--its natural and normal to worry about the worst things as we want to protect our children.

For most children, hearing voices is more likely a sign of anxiety and self consciousness than an indication of bona fide mental illness. Focus on her learning to understand her anxiety and insecurities. For example, can she tell you a little about what was going on when the voice said, "stupid." Dollars to donuts she was feeling upset with herself or insecure compared to the other kids. Try  to help her work on those feelings. If she is having trouble functioning or the "voices" are interfering with her relationships, seek consultation.
SL345 makes an EXCELLENT point.  A child at school may have called her that once or called another child stupid.  She could have felt pain and sympathy with the child being made fun of and fear of it happening to her.

I actually remember feeling that way as a little girl--to be honest.  I was always scared someone would say something mean to me--I was picked on a lot for being nerdy--and small.

Anxiety is really something you should look into.
Im going to school right now for child psy. and I don't think you have much to worry about, 23% of kids this age hear "voices" it is more normal than people think. If the voice starts to tell her to do bad things, or becomes mean than she may need to be evaluated
Good news to hear, but it's a really old post.  Thanks for contributing though!
Personally I think what is going on is she has a very vivid memory and she has heard someone somewhere say this to her and she is remembering it but not in her "own thought process voice" but the actual voice the sound (word,phrase, song, Ect...) came from to begin with. I would not completely "freak out" or over react but definitely keep an eye on her and make her feel comfortable to come to you each and every time this takes place. Good luck and god bless
Take her to a doctor imediately. I had voices in my head fromthe age of 5 and it wrecked my life. Didn`t get rid of them til 14 years old. It can lead to very disturbing behaviour.The voices can make you carry out richalls that say sorry for the bad thoughts in your head.eg, holding your breath until you have said sorry for all the bad things you have thought.Luckaly through strong will of my own and a loving family i don`t suffer these days. However it has left me alone in life.These days i suffer from panic attacks.This is most likelly because i never established a good group of freinds because the voices ruled my life. Hope i have been helpful.But don`t worry it can be curred