Child Behavior Community
My 5 year old won't listen to his teacher

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Hello, I have a 5 year old son. I am constantly getting told by his teacher that he won't listen, for eg it took him 15 mins to sit on the carpet when she asked him, and went 3 extra times down the slide when asked to come in. This is his second year in kindergarten and never had any probs last year. He told me that he doesn't like his teacher, and I think this might be the prob. His teacher was with gr 5 class last year. I really don't know what to do. Does anybody have any suggestions. We make him listen at home and that works. Please suggest
There really aren't that many kindergarten children who openly defy the instructions a teacher gives a child,  one on one.  Kinder kids have assorted behavior problems - lack of attention span,  being too talkative,  putting their hands all over other kids,  crying easily,  etc,  but being openly defiant when a teacher tells them an instruction isn't really that common.

Have you tried telling him I don't care if you like her or not,  when she tells you to do something you do it right then?   If I get a call from her again,  that you purposely ignored your teacher,  you're spending the whole afternoon in your room when you come home.  

Since he never had this problem before,  he's clearly decided it's fine for him to just ignore her.  Nip THAT in the bud!
Hi there.  Well, he can't disobey just because he doesn't like a teacher.  The teacher needs to institute consequences at school.  If he has been able to obey other years and not this one, then he apparently has a skewed idea of what his boundary is rather than something 'else' like an emotional or neurological issue going on.  Therefore, the school needs to step in and take away privileges, put in time out, etc. him when he is not listening and they can also have a reward system for when he does.  But it is unfair to the teacher and the rest of the class that so much redirection and time is spent dealing with this stuff.  I have a son that had a very hard time in preschool and that is how I always felt.  I was so embarrassed that MY child was causing issues at school and the teacher to have to work harder.  We worked on my son's issues which involved sensory issues but you'd have more experiences than it appearing just now if he had something like that going on.

Perhaps also they can work on some transitions.  Calling out to him that he had FIVE minutes until he is to line up or we will be sitting on the carpet when this clock says this, etc.  Giving him warnings for the transitions might help.

but basically, he has to learn that he is not in charge and that to be a good friend to kids in school, he needs to cooperate (because kids begin to notice when someone doesn't do as told, gets in trouble, etc.).  I know this from experience with my son.  

So, some tough love now may help him learn appropriate boundaries so that he will be able to handle his school day better.  good luck
   I certainly agree with the above.  But, oh boy, going from 5th grade to K usually never happens.  Of course, if its a very young teacher with no seniority,  or .... actually I could think of several reasons - most not good.  Hopefully, its an experienced teacher who had been there before and wanted to return.
       But,if the teacher had no prior experience, that would be quite a learning curve for the teacher.  I still can remember going from teaching at middle school to elementary school and that was quite a change, but nothing like 5th to K.  
        Anyway, both of them may have to learn an adapt.   Work on trying to get him on her good side.  And, if you have the time to volunteer in the room every now and then, that could be helpful.