Child Behavior Expert Forum
My 6 year old Grandson

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

My 6 year old Grandson

Hello, My grandson and daughter moved in with me out of a bad situation several moths back. I am having several issues with my grandson.. he pee's his pant during the day but not to the point of soaking them so at times i do not notice I have to check him often when he has to pee he runs like he has to go bad but only a little comes out.. He also pee's the bed every night several times, I have struggled with getting him on a schedule something he had never had, he was use to staying up all night sleeping when he wanted eating when and what ever he wanted while walking around the house, I now have him on a good schedule and he eats his meals at the table although he is not very happy about this . but the peeing is a constant battle. We have had him to the doctor they say he is fine but it is still a big issue, I have tried ignoring the issue also for the day time wetting I have put him in time out this worked for about a week I now have him in goodnites and he dont even seem to care. I also have the problem with him ignoring me.. when I get him up for school he has to have a bath every morning due to peeing several times a night I ask him to wash he just lays down and does nothing so I try to help him get started then he will not dry off he just stands and stares at me like I am loonie so I do that as well same with getting dressed or any other responabilty's that he should be doing at the age of 6. I am at wits end I have him all them time my daughter works and goes to school and is due to have another baby in feb I dont think my patiences will hold up I am to the point of tears. He brings home bad notes from school he wont listen and talks to much tha sort of thing he also wants nothing to do with home work all he ever wants to do is play and watch tv. Any advice will be helpfull I love my grandson I thought if i could get him here to a safer more stable enviroment he would do better and be happy:(
He has been with you a relatively brief time - it will take a while for the structure and routine to show a difference. Keep in mind how he has been raised. The impact of such ingrained habits does not go away quickly. now, havong said that, in addition to the impact of his mother's inadequate parenting, he may have some developmental problems. See if you can arrange a developmental evaluation for him. A Developmental pediatrician would be the best type of professional to conduct the assessment.