Child Behavior Community
My 6 year old daughter cries from leg pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My daughter gets pain usually in one leg at a time which radiates down to her foot also, the pain is in the front of the leg.  This has been happening since she was about 3 or 4 but just radomly.  It's always at the end of the day or bedtime.  She will start crying in pain and it seems to happen a couple times a week now and it bothers her more.  I don't think she is faking because I use to get leg pain as a kid too and I was told it was growing pains.  I just dont know if I should just keep medicating her every time she has pain, or should I look deeper into this?
Tags: legs, Pain
Right I got them when I was younger but down the backs of my legs. Sometimes it was restless legs and it is VERY uncomfortable. Even when I was older I got it - I cut out all caffeine from my diet and I am ok unless I take 'Tylenol pm'- there is tylenol and benadryl in this- I have no idea why this brings it on but it does.....

hints:
discontinue all caffeine

Try a banana with evening meal.= potassium

Heard recently there is no such thing as growing pains but actually may be muscle spasms from new activities. Is it bone pain or muscle pain? Is she able to describe that? Maybe not.

What pain relievers do you give her?
How long does it take to relieve the pain?
Is the pain relieved with these meds every time?
She definately does not have much caffeine, if any per day, no soda or anything.  I do notice when she has had an active day of even gym class that day, is when she will have the pain.  She only tells me her legs hurt and shows me where, I dont think she can identyfy muscle of bone pain.  I will give her tylenol or motrin almost evry time and that usaully works and I will rub her leg.  Thank you for your information.
Sounds like Osgood-Schlatter syndrome.

http://www.hss.edu/conditions_14403.asp

My son had it and has now grown out of it at the age of 17.  I was afraid he'd do massive liver damage with the amount of tylenol he was beginning to take to cope with the constant pain at night.

I heard about Oscon supplements,  and it was a miracle worker.  It made such a difference - in a month,  his symptoms had reduced dramatically.

Sorry,  i don't mean to sound like  a snake oil salesman.  Look it up on the internet,  and ask around - this isn't something you have to go on for long terms.  The websites say it should be much better in a month, maybe two,  and for us it was about 3 weeks.

Best wishes.
My daughter went through the exact same thing from the time she was about 3 years old. After seeing the doctor, he had her seen by another physician and ran a test to rule out something more severe and than was told its just growing pains. I told him I heard growing pains aren't true and seemed to think otherwise. Saying that some children grow very quickly and they feel it. I always gave her a very warm bath to soothe her legs and than gave her a very deep massage (as deep as she would allow me), than I would rub vicks on her legs and wrap them tightyly with tensors or even a scarf. There were times at night were I would lay down with her and squeeze her legs inbetween mine, giving her that pressure feeling to comfort her, along with advil. My sister grew up with this pain too until she was 16 or 17. I remember her going into a screaming fit and my mother would rub A535 on her, wrap her up and my dad would have to carry her to bed until she was 17. I would most definately speak with your doctor to rule out any other possible problems, than if nothing, you have to find what works for her. Good luck mom! Its not easy!
mybabies,  an old term for Osgood -Schlatter is "growing pains".   What used to be called growing pains now has a name,  and two physicians who researched and gave their names to this syndrome.
you can purchase ted hose at most medical supply stores,they will help with her pain, I dont believe she should sleep with them on though, My boys had this too a good old fashioned hot bath helped alot.good luck !!!!!
Thanks for all the great advice!
Hi my daughter has the same and i think its genetic and something more serious than growing pains. My daughter is 3 almost 4 and has cried during the night since she was around 18 month holding her legs and sometimes her arms.
My mum, nan and myself all get these pains now, my nan swears by a banana every morning.
Ive also tried magnesium tablets which seemed to work.

Madison went to see the consultant who got her to hop on the spot, walk and run and said she was "normal". he has not seen her screaming the house down 2, 3, 4 or sometimes every half hour at night.

She has Calpol or child Neurofen around 4 times a week for this reason and after reading (this morning!) paracetamol can cause Asthma and Excezma in children im going to take her back!
my daughter is 6 years old and i am going through the same exact thing you are...as i am typing she is up crying about her leg it hurts and she cant walk on it she limps..only hurts at night when she has had a busy day or has walked a far distance ...i had her checked by our doctor and he didnt see anything.....im just wondering if you found out anything else on your end please let me know-----melissa
Where does it hurt?  whole leg, quads, hamstrings, calves, radiates down?  Is it her leg or her foot - metatarsals (area just behind the toes), heel, arch?  Is any area sensitive to pressure when it is bothering her?
hi all, this is like reading about my daughter.... she has now a diagnosis of hypermobility syndrome. it is hard to diagnose, but a referral to rheumatology will work