Child Behavior Community
My 6yr old daughter says, her brain tells her to do bad things

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Hello and thank you for reading.

My 6 yr old daughter keeps saying that he mind tells her to bad things she does not want to. Like yesterday she said her brain wants to tell her to tell her teacher, she is fat. she said... I know if I call my teacher fat, I will hurt her feelings and I do not want to. But my brain keeps bothering me until I get it out. She said please do something because I do not like my brain telling me bad stuff.

My daughter is very smart and normal child. She gets 100 on almost all of her test. I am getting very worried.

Please advice.

Thank you.
-10 Comments Post a Comment
My son was getting into trouble in school last year in Pre K ( he was 4 ) at the time and when asked why he would say my brain. The teacher thought I should have him checked out!!! It was nothing. He out grow it. I would worry but speaking to your pediatrician wouldnt hurt. I did and she told me that it was nothing.
Oops, hit the wrong button.  Anyway, my 5 year old step son says the same thing sometimes.  I have never talked to a doctor about it, but it is my personal belief that he is trying to find words for something that we all probably struggle with.  We know what is right and wrong, but sometimes it's hard to be 'good' all the time.  They are still young and it is natural, I feel, for them to wrestle with impulses to say whatever is on their mind- even if it is mean.  I think that it is important to let kids know that controling impulses can be hard for adults too.  Also I feel that it is positive to recognize those feelings instead of ignoring them or just labeling them as 'bad'.

I used to do that too.   I think a lot of people do,  who are socially conscious.   I'd think of something awful and devious to say or do,  something really awful like telling a sweet teacher she is fat,  and then I'd feel so bad for thinking it.  

It sounds like your daughter is really learning how to be kind and careful with other people's feelings and so it even hurts her to think these things.   But she does think them,  because in fact the teacher is fat.   And she's horrified about actually saying them because that's so mean.

The thing is,  it's her secret.  She doesn't have to share it with anyone at all,  it won't bubble up and work itself out if she doesn't want it to.   If she wants to she can whisper it very quietly under her breath in another room,  if that makes it go away.