Child Behavior Community
My 7 year old step son plays in his poop!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

What are some reasons my 7 year old is playing in his poop?  He has done it 3 times in the last month.  When we ask him about it he tells us he does know how it got on his hand or whatever else it may be on.  In these two times he has also pooped in the tub and then played with it.  He does have some mental health issues such as ADHD, Depression, Anixety, Anger, PTSD,OCD, and is taking meds for all these.  He also sees a therapist, and we have brought this up and all she says is it could be a sign of sexual abuse.  But the other problem we have with him is he lies alot, so if he has been sexual abused how do we know if he is telling the truth or not.  His biological mother hasn't been in his life for a year and a half, so his dad and I have been raising him, and I don't know what to do with him.  Please help!!!!
Your son does sound as if he is upset by something , and if he is on Meds it could be they are affecting his behavior as they have side effects,you could ask the prescribing Doctor if it is the meds he takes.  Lieing could be part of it also but it is always best to believe the child and check out all possibilities that anyone is abusing him,. Is he alone with any one other than your self , who looks after him during the day and does he visit with anyone, check out any factors and it will at least put your mind at rest .I hope you get some answers to this dont punish for this behavior it is obvious there is a reason.
He told his therapist once that his biological mothers friend touched him once while he was bathing at her house.  Bio mom denied this like she does with everything.  He told us last night that when he does it it reminds him of somethings his mother had done when he lived with her, but he hasn't been with her for a year and a half why would he start doing this all of a sudden because of her?  He has been on meds for awhile now, so wouldn't they have affected him when he started the meds and not a year later?  Their are so many behavior issues with him I honestly don't know what to do anymore.  Nothing seems to be working for him, besides the therapist services, he also is receiving more services through our local mental health and he tells us that none of it is helping him at all.  Any advice on things I should try and do would be helpful, I am up to trying new things if it will better our family.
I can tell you are trying to help your boy , and its great you come to find answers, it could be the Meds as it takes a while and if it is that it is an easier thing to correct, so do ask his Doctor and he may be able to lessen them or change them.  Maybe now would be a good time to let it drop and not feed into any more  if there is less talk about it he may feel better,if he is in therapy that may help him. Good luck
He's been going to therapy for two years now, and things did get better with him for awhile, but right now I feel things are not getting any better.  Things are getting bad in our house and I don't feel its fair to our other children in the house.  Does anyone have any advice on discipline when he chooses not to follow the house rules?