Child Behavior Expert Forum
My 8 yr old has a short temper

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

My 8 yr old has a short temper

I have two children, one is 8 and the other is 14. My 8 year old gets very frustrated at times. For example if he is using the computer and he clicks on something and its happens to be the wrong thing or it takes too long to load, he will hit the keyboard (not hard) and get a sudden burst of rage. He will stiffen up his body and do like a squeaky noise. If there is something he is doing and it doesn’t go 100% correct or perfect he will get a blast of anger which only last about 1 min. I don’t understand why he gets so upset. He is a pretty well behaved child. He doesn’t get in trouble at school nor do they complain about any issues with his anger. I think it’s only at home.

He also gets mad easy at times. If its 8:58 and he asks you what time its is and you tell him 9:00 he gets mad and saying " no that’s not true, its 8:58" If we are going to go some where he wants to know how long its going to take and he wants it in minutes. If you tell 15- 20 mins, by gosh you better mean it. If you tell him we are leaving in 15 mins or a friend will be over in 30 mins, if you are 1 min off he will get a bit excited/aggravated.
He is so literal.  

He also will argue with friends, he is the kid that has to have the best of whatever it is that you are playing with. If we are playing his PS2 with him and me or my husband are winning he will restart the game or pause it and ask if we can switch cars/people.
He is average to above average as far as intelligence. He test top 96% for math and top 98% for reading. He reads at a 5th grade level and is in 2nd grade. If you tell him something once he remembers it pretty much. He has a large vocabully and uses his word correctly. He is a great artist (he loves to draw and gives great details to his pictures) and can build amazing things with his legos.

I don’t understand why he gets sooo frustrated so easily at the littlest thing.
Any advice would be great.  

Your description indicates two problems: difficulty managing the anger that comes with frustration, along with a compulsiev type of personality. The latter may or may not represent an obsessive-compulsive anxiety disorder - this would need to be evaluated. Arranging help with a mental health or behavioral health clinician will clarify the diagnostic picture and help your son deal better with frustration.
1 Comment
A related discussion, My 8 year old can't control her temper was started.