Child Behavior Expert Forum
My 9 year old says inappropriate things to girls

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

My nine year old son is very energetic and creative. He is full of enthusiasm for life and loves to be the center of attention. If he thinks he can make someone laugh, he goes full speed ahead. The problem is that sometimes he desire to produce a laugh is over-shadowed by inappropriate comments. Today his teacher called me at work to report my son told a little girl he was sitting next to he 'wished her panties would fall off'. When the teacher questioned him about it he told her he didn't say that. He said "I told her liar, liar, pants on fire".

I am worried he did say it - because something very similar occurred earlier this summer. His father and I had a very serious discussion with him and I thought he understood why he shouldn't say things like that. Is there something else we should be doing other than talking about the reasons why you don't say things like that and punishing him when he does? I really want to prevent other comments from ever occurring rather than responding to them once they have.
You seem to be handling the situation fine. That is, you set a clear limit (no comments of that sort) and then followed up on his violation of the limit. A suitable consequence would be a one day 'grounding' - i.e., loss of privileges for one day.
A related discussion, 8 year old boy with social issues was started.