Child Behavior Expert Forum
My 9 year old son has mood swing, is it prepubescent?

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

My 9 year old son has mood swings. He gets angry when he has to follow any rules and gets his feelings hurt for anything.  He is negative about everything.  I blame it on a behavior problem, but I can't even do anything to discipline him, it just gets him more angry.  So the best solution that I found this week is just to ignore him until he cools down, and then to go talk to him.  It all escillated when we moved into our own home,I'm a single mom,and I tried switching his schools.  It got so bad that I had to try and scare him by getting a police to come to our house to make him go to school. He would get very violent and refused to get dressed and go. So I started him in counciling, and I ended up switching him back to his old school.  His behavior has gotten better,I can get him to school now, but not 100%.  The counciling techniques have only mad things worse, so I quit doing them.  He normally is an honor roll student.  He is not doing as good and makes a big ordeal to do homework or to study.  I just gets so frustrated and doesn't think that he can learn it. I know that he can. I just want him to be happy and I feel like I've tried everything.  I feel like I have a 16 year old teenager. Then somedays he will decide to be happy and the day goes perfect, but that is not usually when he has alot of thing that require thought to do.  I need help!!!  I'm in the process of finding another doctor, who maybe he can talk to about his anger and learning to deal with it.  Could this possibly be prepubescent or does it have to do with the change we made, moving to our own home?
Both of the factors you cite could certainly be contributing to the situation, though I'd tend to downplay the developmental aspect somewhat. Nine -year-olds tend not to experience unsettledness in their behavior the way, let's say, 11 or 12-year olds might. You are sensible in trying to locate another clinician for your son - it certainly sounds like he should be treated professionally.