Child Behavior Community
My child is scared of everything.
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

My child is scared of everything.

I have a boy, he is only 2.5 years old so he might be too young for me to worry about this, but he is constantly scared, of everything. He is scared of things that young children usually enjoy.

At his 2 year visit I mentioned to his pediatrician that he is terrified of going on swings (screams bloody murder if I even try to put him into one), of carousels, of amusement park rides in general, swings, those rope bridges they always have in playgrounds. I also mentioned that he screams and starts crying when people sing in unison. Songs on TV or the radio are fine but if someone sings to him, or at a birthday party, etc. he puts his head down and starts screaming.
She suggested that he might have sensitivity to sensory stimulation and that I could see a child psychologist if I wanted to but that he was probably too young to be concerned.

I did not pursue the topic further, however it seems like every day he is scared of more things.
He is scared of all insects, including little ants and flies. Halloween is nearing and I find him constantly getting spooked by toy spiders. He is scared of beeping sounds, like if the TV beeps from being turned on or my phone beeps from receiving a message he jumps up on me.

We had a really stressful episode today when he received a temporary tattoo in a gift bag at a birthday party and had a complete freak-out when I tried to put it on his arm, something that I obviously would never force him to do but thought he might enjoy.

Does this sound like a problem?
Insurance does not cover psychological evaluations unless the issues conflict with his everyday functioning, and I don't think this does, but he seems to be scared of everything that other children his age enjoy.
Is something wrong with him?
Should I be concerned?