My child seems to be regressing
I have a 3 1/2 year old son... almost 4.  He has always been a very bright and intelligent kid.  For about the last 5 months, he seems to be regressing in every area.  His speech has really deteriorated, his vocabulary has shrunk, his behavior is clingy yet very defiant and aggressive, his diet has changed (in the sense that he is suddenly picky) and of course potty training is a mess.  We live in Houston, just had hurricane Ike, which was a stressful event.  He has had a hard time with the upset in routine which has really amplified the extreme behavior.  I feel like there may be something going on other than just normal regression patterns due to stress.  I really have no idea where to go from here.  I am fearful of mild autism.  Can you offer any advise.
with the symptoms you describe, i would seek the advice of your pediatrician immediately. i agree that it sounds like he may fall on the autism spectrum. stress may cause regression in behavior, but i don't think it causes regression in vocabulary and speech.