Child Behavior Community
My child who is 3 years old does not speak

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My second child who is 3 years old has not yet started speaking.   However, all his other activities are completely normal.  He understands each and everything.    But he would not speak anything, neither Mummy or Daddy.    He has made some sign languages for eg. in case he wants milk, he has a different way to show us, so that we understand.

My elder son started speaking when he was about 2 yrs old.

I am really worried as it is time to put him in school and with this, he may not get an admission.

We showed him to some Doctors here, who say that he is completely normal and have asked us to have continuous interactions with him.    My wife and me, both are working and she is taken care by an Ayah (Care taker).     We do not take him much out for playing - he plays at home with his elder brother.    Even our elder son used to be at home and started going out to play with friends after he was 4/5.

He has now started understanding even A,B,C,D.... and also recognises these letters, but would never speak.    Also he gets angry fast, in case we start pastering him to talk.

Need help.
Hello.  Well, I think it is time to consult an expert in speech and language.  You do hear of this happening but I would not say it is common for a child to refuse to speak.  I would be concerned about a couple of things----- he's developing his own way of communicating.  I'd no longer get his milk that way-------  as he needs a reason to use his words.  So, I would not appease him anymore.  I'd also be concerned about him socially.  How would he interact with peers?  Much of a child's development comes in the form of social interaction and he is missing out on that.  He needs socialization so just playing at home is probably not the best thing.  And he will have a very difficult time without speaking to his peers.  School would be difficult--------  a teacher counts on a child being able to speak with her.  I don't know if he is a candidate for preschool at this point, to be honest.  Do you think selective mutism could be involved?  Google it and see.  He gets frustrated due to not speaking which is a hallmark sign of a speech and language delay.  How are his fine motor skills, by the way?  How does he do with scissors, writing in terms of drawing shapes (this is age appropriate-------  make an o and make a t, draw a line across the page that is straight and smooth, etc.)?  I think you should investigate this further to see if he will need any early intervention to get on track.  good luck
Hi...your kid sounds similar to my friends son, who could understand everything and was developing normally but would not talk ...they attributed it to normal delay in talk in boys (we r Indians too...so i know its a common explanation there).But at age 4 they discovered that he has "Tongue-tie or ANKYLOGLOSSIA " A simple operation later , that kid is on his way to speak ...he now has a speech therapist and is developing well.

I just would like to suggest that you just verify that this is not hte issue with your kid..If he gets angry when you pester..try singing rhymes..thats what got my son to start speaking..singing silly rhymes..sing many times with actions a...then sing half and ask him to fill the last words..soon he will  start forming words .read small colorful picture books too...spending just 10-15 mins a day with a book with your kid can make amazing differences ! These 2 tips worked with my son :)

All the  best..keep us posted !
My son was delayed speech, he did not speak until after age three.  He got speech therapy.  Also make sure your son does not have infections in his ears, that can affect hearing too.  I  would not let the doctors tell you it is nothing.  He will get more and more frsutrated as he gets older and cannot make needs known.  Did anyone else in the family speak late, apparently, it tends to run in families.