My four year old is afraid of everything!
My four year old is becomming afraid of everything.  It started with the smoke alarm at her preschool.  When they had a fire drill, she lost it and was screaming to get out.  I know those alarms are scary..they are loud, so her reaction was understandable.  Since then, she has become scared off many other things, and I don't just mean scared, but litterally frozen with fear.  If we go somewhere and she hears someones watch beep, or a microwave beep, she panics!  I left the water running in the sink to wash dishes and she had the same reaction!  If someone lights a candle, she freaks out!  This may seem silly to some, but I honestly don't know what to do?  I have talked to her and we have discussed her fears, but if something happens, such as a beep, she panics.  We went to eat at McDonld's a while back and there was a soft humming noise from the a/c.  She started trembling and refused to eat or play there!  I just need some advice on what to do.  I know fears at this age are normal, but her fears seem to be consuming her life!  I have to be careful where ever we go b/c chances are, we are going to hear something that will scare her and our day will be over!  Any suggestions would help!
Hi, my son is autistic (high functioning) and unusual fears are very common.  His latest fear is hand dryers in public bathrooms.  He's also had fears of things like furry soccer balls and a couple of other things.  This is what I do and I think it would work with every child.  Make a picture and identify the picture as what the fear is.  Then expose them to it over and over and over and over until they get use to it and realize that there is nothing to be scared of.  This is a form of cognitive behavior therapy.  It works, but be prepared for tantrums and crying.  If you can't handle that, you won't be effective.  Have them touch what is scaring them and then reward them with an m&m or something they like to eat and then praise them when they touch it.
Kids go through very fearful stages in their developement.  My 3 year old is terrified of puppets....

I agree try to demystify the things she is afraid of.  But be very patient, she should start passing through this stage very soon, if she doesn't I would have her evaluated/
Dear ajemmom:

It is possible your child suffers from an anxiety disorder (often many "fears" indicate "Generalized Anxiety Disorder").  It might be wise to discuss this possibility with your child's pediatrician.  If this is the diagnosis, treatment may consist of intervention, therapy and/or medication.

Anxiety disorders do not "go away" but usually become worse as the person ages.  Also, the earlier the treatment, the better the prognosis.  I wish you the best ...

Your answer is very silly regarding medicating  a child that is afraid of things temporarily.  Get a grip.  My son is afraid of halloween and all that hipe towards it and after it.  This will pass............