Child Behavior Expert Forum
My son is having problems at school

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

My son is having problems at school
My son is eight years old, third grade, and he is getting bad grades at school. He is being receiveing tutoring at home and he does his homework really good with the tutor, even the extra homework she gives him.
At school he just get D and F in reading and math. He behaves good, talk a little but nothing to worry about(his teacher words). He have allergy problems and I know that when he doesn't feel good (stuffy nose or asthma) he gets agressive.
I have noticed that when he is doing homework with me, he is very anxious, he is always moving his legs, and  gives me a hard time saying that he only wants to play. He is defiant, and is always saying I don't care or that is not important.
His father and I divorced more than a year ago, I know that affected him, but he only started presenting this problem this year.
Please any advise is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Did he do well academically in grades 1 and 2 - i.e., is this a change for him or has he struggled all along? If he has struggled, request an evaluation at school because it may indicate a learning disability. Otherwise, his performance may indicate some neurological or behavioral health component and this should be evaluated by a pediatric behavioral health clinician.
Thank you for your answer.
He did good in grade one and grade two have problems only with math but passed to third grade.
Now the problem is with reading and comprehensive, he told me that he can't concentrate when doing the tests because other children are talking too loud and calling him names.
I'm going to school tomorrow to meet with the teachers and see what is real and what not.
Thank you so much for your help
Good for you. Yes, you are doing the right thing by going to school and finding out the details.