Child Behavior Community
Nail biting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Nail biting

I have never had nails. I cant peel an orange or pick up a quarter, biting is something I've always done. Whenever I see white it just has to go! ill bite my toes even. Whenever I had a professional job interview or college interview, my dad would always tell me "Make sure you sit on your hands!" even as hard as I would try I would always somehow subconsciously find my hand in my mouth. I even had a friend pay for a manicure/pedicure for me, I asked the woman to do a "french" on my toes and she laughed hysterically. I've tried everything from early childhood to now, but the urge is so strong you don't care what's on what gross tasting stuff is on them. But I think part of the reason I picked up smoking is because of the oral fixation. Its just nauseating me now, I want "lady fingers" and not unattractive short stubs!!! HELP!

This discussion is related to Chronic Nail Biting in Adults.
Chronic nail biting is one symptom of anxiety.  Have you considered this possibility?
I know what you mean I have never been able to stop either... but I am hopeful to find something
I have heard a lot about this and my brother bit his nails all the time , it is a habit, he started doing it ,enjoyed it ,distracted him and kept it up.Maybe one has to break the habit, put something in its place ?
I don't see it as a symptom of anxiety, but as an entrenched habit. Like all entrenched habits, it is hard to rid yourself of it. And like all habits, you have to want to quit.
I have bitten my nails for almost 25 years, since I was 6. I recently got myself to stop and it's been a good 2 months now since I've bitten them at all and I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I've had the urge to bite them. I probably had a moderate problem (bit my nails where they were always halfway down the nail bed but def more than a sliver of nail left). All I did was paint my nails with a nail strengthening clear coat EVERYDAY. Even if the polish was still there I'd reapply. This way I never got to the actual nail. I would bite/pick at the polish but not the nail til the nail got long and strong enough. I sometimes bite down on my nail but now that it's longer it's harder to bite off and this is enough to satisfy the oral fixation.  I still paint my nails maybe weekly but I now have nails that extend past the finger. YAY!