Nervous Behavior
My 5 year old son has always been a little nervous in situations that a shy child would tend to be nervous in, but lately it is more so than before.  He is fine at school, it isn't an issue whatsoever, unless we are there.  He used to twirl his hair constantly, it happens sometimes now, but not as often.  Now he seems to pick up other little things instead, like wringing his hands, or shirt, putting his shirt neck in his mouth...many little things like that.  I have read about stereotypic movement disorder, but it isn't as extreme as nail biting or head banging.  I was wondering if anyone has any information that would help.  His behavior is tending to be negative as well, more so his outlook than behavior becuase he can be a completely sweet boy as well.  It's very odd and we want to get him back to being a positive typical 5 year old boy.  Any help would be great.
I suspect your child suffers from anxiety.  I might suggest you google the term "childhood anxiety" or something similar to see if the descriptions are similar to those of your son.  If so, (or even if not), it might be wise to discuss these behaviours with your family doctor.  If anxiety is the issue, do note that this disorder is highly treatable.  I wish you the best ...