Child Behavior Community
Newborn won't sleep in bassinet!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Newborn won't sleep in bassinet!!

Hi.  I have a newborn and she's one month old.  She loves her bouncy seat and another little gadget from Fisher Price that we picked up BUT she refuses to sleep in her bassinet.  I have tried putting hr to sleep in one of the "toys" and then moving her to the bassinet but as soon as she goes in there she screams bloody murder.  
I have tried ignoring the screams for a while but as a new mother, it's very hard.
Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm terrified that when it comes time for the crib, she will never accept it.  Have I created a monster already at only 1 month?
Lots of newborns don't like to sleep lying down.  They like the uprightness of the carseat or bouncy seat.  Additionally, think about how "swaddling" those 2 seats are.  Maybe she/he (I can't remember which, sorry) just likes the way she feels secure in those seats.  Are you swaddling her when you lie her down?

Also, 1 month is a little young to try to establish routine, or to worry about bad habits.  12 weeks is a great age to start the process of establishing routine.  Until then, just try to survive and you'll make it through.

Congrats!

My first son screamed when we put him in the bassinet.  He had very bad colic for at least 4 months, and it was less painful for him to sleep like that, but it is not practical - babies should not sleep in anything but flat position.

Also had a traumatic labour with him and his head was very malformed - like a runner bean!!   We think with hindsight that he had a sore head from the delivery because once the swelling etc had gone he was happy to lie down.

I would speak to your health visitor for some advice.

I agree babies at one month old do not need forcing into an adult routine but having had 8 months of no sleep with my first I also know that as time goes on you feel like you are losing the plot.

Keep posting and talking to us, the health visitors, other mums etc, and most importantly your family - they were most help to me.

Take care

Dawn
I hate to disagree--
But, sometimes, for medical reasons, i.e. reflux, etc., doctors recommend that children sleep upright in their carseats, etc.  Our pediatrician, a pulmonary specialist, told us to strap our baby in the carseat, and place the carseat in the crib, so the baby was upright, but still in his normal environment.

Just FYI.
She definitely does enojoy being upright more but I think for her it's a comfort thing.  She never spits up and I'm breast feeding so it's not reflux.
Ah the joys of the sleepless nights of motherhood.
Also, I might try swaddling her although she HATES blankets on her at all.
Thanks for your words.  I'm a bit OCD and a bit tired to say the least.
I think for now I will let her sleep where she is most comfortable, talk to my dr, keep posting and pray a hell of a lot!
My oldest slept in a bassinet for a week and then we had to move her to her crib.  She didn't have enough room.
My youngest hated both the bassinet and the crib and slept in her bouncy seat or cradle swing for the first two months.  The way I see it is that if they sleep somewhere consistently than let them for your own sanity.  Eventually you will get the baby in a crib.  Hang in there.
My little one hated his bassinets!!!!  He didn't care for the pack n play bassinet, a regular bassinet or a travel bassinet that was loaned to me.  He loved his car seat - so that is what he slept in for many months.  Whatever made my child compfortable at night made me happy.  Yes, we tried swaddling and actually used swaddling quite a bit, but he still didn't like any of the bassinets.  As he grew a little older he slept in his crib and loved it.  He is now two years old and enjoys sleeping in a single bed - wouldn't have anything to do with the toddler bed, but likes a regular bed.
If I was in your shoes, however the baby would sleep i would do it.  Bassinets in my opinion are a waste of money unless you got money to waste.
Hi I am a new mom I just have my daughter 4 days ago and for the past 3 days she won't sleep at night my husband and I is taking shift staying up with her is that normal
Our first-born granddaughter would not sleep in her bassinet.  I think she hated the fact it was dark and she felt as if she were in a hole.  I noticed that you mentioned you are a bit OCD (our DIL has been diagnosed with this disorder).  By the way, at six years of age our granddaughter was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder - not saying that this is the path your daughter will follow as it is much too soon - but I do feel this being fearful and inhibited behaviour of our granddaughter at birth was a "red flag" of what was to come.  By the way, she loved her crib but slept with a night light for many, many years.
Try the Crib my 1st son hated the bassinet because he couldn't see out of it.  I put him in the crib without the bumpers and perfect little sleeper.  It's just a matter of figuring it out lol
Good luck
we're in the same boat. my wife and i are taking shifts. our little one is just seven days old, and is having trouble sleeping. they told us at the hospital over and over how dangerous it is for the baby to sleep in the bed with mommy and to never do it. unfortunately, that's the only way this kid will sleep. so, on mom's shift, she watches movies and the baby sleeps on her. on my shift, i'm on smother-watch sitting beside the bed. i've looked everywhere for some golden bit of info that will set us free, but the more i look, the more i believe there is none to be had. we're both insanely tired, but we're going to push through this. i have to hold on the idea that there's a light at the end of this tunnel. it's 5:40am right now. mommy and baby are sleeping (finally). tonight, my sleep shifts only added up to about an hour and a half, split up in two blocks.
Hi Moms! For those of you who say your babies won't sleep in the crib/bassinet, it sounds like you were talking about my little Lily a few weeks ago until my Nap Nanny came in the mail.  www.napnanny.com.  She would only sleep in her car seat or in my arms and it looked like it wasn't very good for her neck! Like you were saying, babies hate the feeling of lying flat so this seat holds the baby in an angled position and my daughter has NEVER slept better. She went from sleeping 1 or 2 hours at most to sleeping right through the night in a matter of days.  It is the most amazing baby product that I have found.
i just ordered the nap nanny it looks comphy i hope it works!expensive but if it works it will be worth it. My lilly will only sleep in her carseat,it cant be good for her all the time...so we will see.
She probably has her days and nights mixed up. My daughter was the same way for weeks!! I waz up all night til 6-8am...it was very exhausting...but ur lucky u have your husbands help because i was all alone taking care of my daughter all night. By the way try keeping her up as much as possible during the day. It will be hard but trust me the more she is up the more sge will sleep at night
I read that comment about the nap nanny and became interested in purchasing one so i looked it up online to find out a bit more information on it and found out that it was recalled. Here's the link if your interested. Too bad it seemed like a good idea.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2010/08/09/nap-nanny-recall.html
Me and my partner had our baby 3 months ago, and during the first month I slept with him then after that he slept in his basinet. Lately he has been having issues sleeping in it, So we've been doing everything in our power to make him happy in order for us to get sleep at night and during the day. He enjoys being in his swing and our arms, I'm not sure if he likes the constant moving/comfort of our cuddles or simply just hates his basinet. Since he was born he's had minor night colic but were positive that its gotten worse and also certain that he's developing acid reflux. Although we've discovered what makes him happy and the parcial reasoning to his hatred for the basinet any advice and comments would be wonderful.

thanks :)