Child Behavior Expert Forum
No concept of Time

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

No concept of Time

My 7 yr old daughter, has no concept of time. I.e. getting ready for school. I have to prod so many times to get dressed, eat breakfast, brush her teeth,etc it becomes a screaming issue for me. We have to leave by a certain time, and everything is in slow mode for her. This also happens in other times of the day. How do I get her to do things more timely, without me losing my cool with her, and end up screaming? Her fraternal twin is just the opposite, quick and ready way ahead of time. Without the need to prod her to get ready. Help!!
Many children require support and encouragement to accomplish their routines. Hopefully you are allowing sufficient time for this, so that you're not rushing. In our role as parents it can sometimes seem that we have no alternative to yelling and losing our emotional control, but in fact we can do better and it is important to maintain your equanimity in the face of frustration. In any case, be sure you're allowing enough time, and if not, start the routine earlier. You can provide some structure for your daughter by developing a list (even with pictures) of the tasks she needs to complete, and ask her to check them off as she finishes them. You might also establish a reward system for her, providing some treat or something else she values when she accomplishes her routines well.
While I agree that plenty of time is needed, my child does have ample time to complete the needed tasks. She is still pokey. So how do you address it when there is enough time? For instance, I get her up 1.25 hours prior to leaving for school. Her clothes have already been laid out, so in that time all she has to do is dress, eat, brush her teeth and hair, and get her shoes on. She goes to the wire every day. Even w/ prompting from me after each task is completed. So can you advise when time is not the issue?
Please.
That is the type of circumstance under which the list/reward system I described can be quite effective. Be sure the reward component is something your daughter regards as positive.
A related discussion, No concept of time was started.