Child Behavior Expert Forum
Normal Child with Self Stimulatory behaviors

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

I have a very normal 5 year old who has self stimulatory behaviors.  They have always been present but have manifested into different stims.  As an infant, he would bring his hands and arms across the body and do a tense move.  Also, from about 3 weeks of age suffered from GERD and was on Reglan other meds to help with the pain.  He has always had difficulty with bowl movements and has seen a pediatric gastroenterologist and still has to take Miralax to help with bowl movements.  As a toddler, he would put his arms straight down at his sides with a tense movement downward straightening his arms.  Also, he would do a circle run around the family room for about an hour at night.  Now, it’s a little hand flapping and the extreme shaking of grass, strings, dolls, etc.  He is a normal functioning child that is extremely social with very articulate and high vocabulary.  I’m worried because the stims take him away from activities and soon it will be learning time in school.  He tells me the shaking helps him think.  I have always discussed this with our pediatrician and he has blown it off telling me he’s just excitable.  The pediatrician recently witnessed his stims and was concerned and suggests OTPT.  As an elementary school teacher, I think it’s more serious than OTPT.  We’ve taking him to see a child psychologist and she said he exhibits no other behaviors to suggest he’s Autistic and was really no help in any type of treatment or possible diagnosis.  The preschool teacher never noticed the stims and just told me he was a strong willed child.  My husband and I know something is seriously wrong and the stimulatory behavior is getting progressivily worse.  We don’t know what to do or where to go for help.  Please help and give us some sort of direction in which to take to help are precious little guy.
One thing you should do is arrange an evaluation with a pediatric neurologist in order to make sure there is no abnormality in his central nervous system. There is no point in inquiring of him why he does this; you will only receive an obligatory reply that has no real meaning, because he does not have any idea 'why' he is displaying the behavior.