Child Behavior Community
Normal development for 20 month old who was "born asleep?"

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My brother-in-law and his wife had a 9+ lb baby who was "born asleep" according to the midwife. The child is now 28 months old and has just barely started walking. He is very unstable and when he falls, he is unable to get up on his own. He also shows speech delays--he can respond to simple requests such as point to your nose , etc. I believe he can say Mama and Dada but that's all I've heard him say. I was with him the other day for 2 hours and he only grunted. He is a beautiful, happy baby and we are unsure of whether or not to mention this to them. She is now pregnant with baby#2 and intends to have the same type of birth . I am quite concerned that she is doing more damage than good by having a baby this way after looking at the lack of progress from #1. I have heard from some friends that there are early intervention programs that they can take advantage of but I don't want to alienate them by bringing up an issue if it really isn't an issue at all.
Thanks!
Concerned Aunt
"Born asleep".  That's a euphamism for born dead.  Like,  a miscarriage.

I am really into midwives and natural childbirth,  but strongly believe all these services need to be offered within a full service hospital.  Awful things can happen at the very latest moment that cause lilfelong trauma.  

I can't imagine putting yet another baby at risk for whatever the birth trauma was that your nephew went through.  This is really almost worth a call to CPS if the family can't gather and insist they seek help both for the child,  and a medical facility for the second baby's birth,  considering the problem with the first baby.

Best wishes.
I looked up "born asleep" right after I heard that because it sounded fishy and was astounded to see that it meant born dead!! I asked 2 ob/gyns and a MD about the "born asleep" thing and they both said they'd never heard of that. They both said it was likely hypoxia. I'm all for a mother choosing her own birth plan, but for gosh sakes, why can't she do it in a hospital?!?! My family is so upset because they're worried that something will not only happen to the baby , but to the mom as well, during birth.
Right now, we're trying to figure out the best way to sit them down to talk about it.

Thanks for your comment!

I would be interested in hearing an update if you have one.  I am in a similar situation.
I would like to hear an update as well because a friend of mine had a home birth in 2008 and there was some type of complication, although my friend hasn't been willing to share much information and I haven't pushed the issue. Her child has shown delays in many areas and the mom isn't willing to see that there is a problem.  I have tried talking to her about getting help but she is in denial about it. I just want to know if there will be hope for her precious one because right now she isn't talking much and has a lot of problems moving. I pray everyday for this child!
I just check back to see if anyone has posted a comment and I see that the first poster's question was back in 2008. I just found out my friend's baby has fetal alcohol syndrome so that is the cause of all of the little one's problems.  So sad and I had no idea because I met her when she was 5 months along.  Also just found out she's pregnant again. She just lost her job and can't get the help she needs for her little girl or the future child she will soon have. Please pray for my friend, her sweet daughter, and her precious unborn.