Child Behavior Community
Not crawling or getting on hands or knee

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My daughter is going to be 11 months on the 22nd and she is not getting up on hands or knees so therefore is not crawling.  She will not stand or pull herself up.  She plays pattycake and says mama even though I really don't think she knows.  She "talks" but that is about it.  I am getting really worried and I am sick of the comments from other friends and that she "should" be walking/crawling by now because their child did.

Please help
I know your frustration. My son didn't either. Does she just sit still or has she figured out another method of getting around? My son just sat still until at 12 months and 1 week exactly he figured out he could scoot forward on his bottom to move around.  He scooted exclusively until he was 20 months, which is when he finally pulled up and then a few weeks later took a step.

At his 9 month well baby check up, I expressed concern that he wasn't independently mobile yet to the pediatrician who told me to contact our local health department about an early intervention program.  My son was evaluated by a physical therapist and was determined to have low muscle tone, and he was given physical therapy through that program. Later we found out he had other developmental delays, but that was the first step. If you are in the USA I suggest you call your local health department and find out how to get your daughter evaluated for early intervention. It's free, and so is the therapy if it's needed. Your daughter may not have any of the issues my son does, but it's better to find out early, in order to get her help if needed and for your peace of mind.
From your name,  it sounds like you have an older child?  Compared to his development,  how is your daughter?  

Is she moving at all?  

I think you need to get her evaluated.  I know this is painful,  but try not to be "sick" of friends who see a concern and are courageous enough to express it to you.  

The earlier you get intervention,  the better.  
My son started crawling at 10 months and walked the day before his 1st birthday.  
I have a friend whose son did not crawl at all00only walked after his 1st birthday....later on he was evaluated for school and discovered a slight learning disablity--the doctor said children have to crawl to train their brains on how to figure out htings and calculate distance...I would see if you can get some help from your ped. or the local children's agency.
We have two sons - one crawled and walked prior to his first birthday; the elder never did crawl but walked at 16 months.  Both graduated from college with A averages.  Our eight-year old grandson never crawled nor tried to pull himself up and did not walk until he was 20 months old.  His pediatrician said that since the muscles in his legs were fine to not worry (of course, we did worry).  He now is in third grade and also makes excellent marks.  I can't say that your child might just be a late walker (by the way, our children were all early talkers), but this does not mean your child has a learning disability.  By the way, our late "walkers" are not very athletic; instead are "deep introspective thinkers".  Since you are concerned, it would do no harm to see a developmental pediatrician, if only to ease your worries.

I went to the doctor today and get my daughter checked out...She said that she is a very health little girl who is going to be tall and very slender like mama......Everything else regarding walking/crawling seems a-okay
Hi There-  Please don' t be concerned.  My daughter didn't sit up until 8 months and she didn't walk until she was 16 months old.  At her 1 year check up she wasn't even bearing weight on her legs or standing- pulling herself up.  She was content will rolling and doing the army crawl.  After her 1 year appt, she soon started standing and holding onto furniture, etc. and it took until she was 16 months before she actually wanted to take a step alone.  She is 3 years old now and just fine.  No issues.
Please remember that there is a huge time table for babies developement.  I know my dr. said if she wasn't sitting up my 9 mths, then there maybe a concern, and by 15 months they said many are walking but not all are.  A time for concern is if they are 18 months and still haven't begun walking, then other tests should be looked into.  I know what you mean about other parents commenting.  I had a lot of friends that had kids that walked at 8 and 9 months so it was always uncomfortable for me.  Don't let it bother you, because the most important thing is what your Dr. says not others comments.

- Kersten