Child Behavior Expert Forum
Oppositional Defiant Disorder and medications

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

I have taken my son (12), to a psychiatrist.  He was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 5 years old and has been on meds ever since. Now his behavior is agressive and abusive, so the trip to the new doctor.  The doctor has diagnosed him with ODD, Anxiety and ADHD and wants to train my husband and myself, but I am wondering if there is also some sort of medication we can use.  We are three weeks away from our next appt and things are getting worse everyday, including suspension from school for fighting. Once he gets angry he is unable to control it and it lasts until the next day, he is continually saying he is sorry for name calling and getting mad.  I am truly desprate and do not know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you
Dear Ms. Rogers,

Your doctor is wise to discern that, in the treatment of conditions such as those that your son displays, helping parents to manage the behavior is a major focus of treatment. Too often this component isn't granted sufficient attention.

In addition, medication can sometimes be helpful as well. The choice of medications depends on the particular target symptoms. Medications such as Ritalin, Dexedrine, Cylert and Adderal are used to treat overactivity, impulsivity and inattention. Antihypertensives, such as Clonidine and Tenex, are used to treat volatility, noncompliance/defiance, and arousal. Antidepressants such as Zoloft, Prozac and Paxil are employed to treat irritability, temper dyscontrol and anxiety. There are also other choices - these are simply some of the more common medications.

If your doctor is a psychiatrist, ask about medication as part of the treatment plan. If your doctor is not a psychiatrist, ask about a refrral to one who can handle the medication component. You would continue with your current doctor for the therapy and parent guidance.
I was wondering if mental disorders were hereditery? My husband has had bouts with bi-polar/depression. He no longer takes all the meds he use to take and is doing very well now. Last year my then 7 year old son was prescribed Adderall (adderrall) due to problems in school. For example: Lack of self control, won't listen, & won't follow directions. He has also been defiant to his teacher & at home. When asked to do something he huffs & puffs & gets mad. I have to ask him several times to do one thing. If I list 3 things for him he gets real frustrated like he can't comprehend it all at once. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks,Laura