Child Behavior Community
Oppositional behaviour

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Oppositional behaviour

My 22yr old son has been oppositional from the age of about 8. At school it was more passive aggressive in not making a reasonable attempt to complete his school work. Lagging behind, repeating grade 4 with no improvement. He did have a female teacher who aggressively drilled my son along with all the boys in the class and about half the girls. 3/4 of parents continually complained to the Principal to no avail. Before that dreadful 12mths my son was a loving gentle child who struggled at school.  It was almost as if she rewired him. Other parents said their children were traumatised as well. He would cry and didn't want to go to school.  After, he became extremely verbally aggressive, running away and oppositional. As he matured and became taller than me very young he got worse. Being a single mum it has been emotionally hard as I don't think I'm t he same person. Verbal abuse takes its toll. My son spent every weekend with his father. The separation is amicable and a united front. High school he went to boarding school happily but was uncooperative and eventually left in yr 10 wither no certificate. Yr 12 back home and was expelled for truancy. No certificate.

He went to work on a cattle property in the middle of  South Australia, had a bad motorbike accident and sustained a major traumatic brain injury.  The flying doctor told me he probably wound not survive the night at 1.30 in the morning.
Miraculously he did making a near complete  recovery. He is left with memory problems and extreme aggressive outbursts towards me, his mother. He makes extreme aggressive, disrespective  statements, almost paranoid accusations of actions  people might take. Completely irrational.

To make  things worse when he smokes dope at night he is aggressive as soon as he wakes up.  When yr trying to make conversation he rears up and thinks yr attacking him. Paranoia.

I exhausted all school assistance, intervention for dope smoking and aggression after his head injury. He walked out of psychiatrists office verbalising to me he was close to dragging him across the desk and beating him to a pulp. The doctor was angry and wouldn't talk to me and handed me a prescription for Respiradone which my  son was non compliant in taking.  He still has outbursts and treats me as his verbal punching bag reducing me to tears. We are forever cleaning up his mess.

Short of enforcing tough love which I can't do because the head injury has left these problems all advice would be helpful.
Bring him to the hospital and have a 72 hour hold placed on him. At least that is what I would do here in the U.S. If he won't cooperate with you, you need help from people who specialize in caring for people like him. It'll end up much worse for him if he does hurt someone (or himself).