Child Behavior Expert Forum
Overly sensitive 9 year old boy
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Overly sensitive 9 year old boy

My 9 year old son is extremely sensitive and seems to be a misfit with other boys his age.  He has 11 and 12 yeard old sisters.  The main concern is that when I discipline him in any way or get a stern tone he falls apart.  He starts crying and almost shouting, "I'm so sorry mom, I'm sorry!" It's almost a desperate plee.  He's even told me that he thinks I don't love him because I yell sometimes.  We are a very affectionate family; hug, kiss, and tell each other we love one another often.  

He doesn't seem to interact with the boys outstide as much as the other boys in the neighborhood.  He has friends at school, but has even shed some tears over not fitting in as well at school.

He's so kind and gentle, but loves boy things, like playing war games, sports, building things, etc.  I don't think his behavior is attention seeking.  I think he is genuinely sad and depressed at times.

I'm afraid for his well being and don't want over react or under react.  Should I take him to a professional?