Child Behavior Community
Pervasive Developmental Disorder - NOS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Pervasive Developmental Disorder - NOS

My 4 1/2 yr old Son had an evaluation for Autism a couple days ago & it was determined that he had PDD-NOS.  I was actually surprised to get any diagnosis.  The only thing I'd ever noticed about him was that he does flap his hands when he is excited & he can be fidgety.  He's very smart.  He actually tested above average intelligence during this evaluation.  He's affectionate, listens well, plays well w/other kids.  He's just a great kid.  I was told that he has sensory issues & is constantly seeking sensory input thru touch.  He also has some speech issues, which I was aware of.  But I can undestand him most of the time.  They said he gets "stuck" at times on certain things.  I was wondering if anyone has a child who has PDD?  Or sensory issues?  My Son doesn't seem like he HAS to touch things & does not display any type of OCD behavior.  I take what the experts tell me w/a grain of salt.  We'll do the Occupational & Speech therapy as suggested.  But I'd like some insight on this diagnosis & the potential outcome.  I do not feel that my Son is going to suffer from having this diagnosis, but it is still hard to have any diagnosis for your child.  I guess I'm just hoping for a little support & some good outcomes.  
I worked with children in my classroom with PDD.  Honestly, with a few strategies put in place, the children I have worked with have done beautifully in a regular ed classroom.  They have been extremely intelligent and successful with friends.  What you do need to just keep in mind, is that some of the behaviors that manifest with this disorder can seem 'odd' to other kids and effect your child socially.  I worked in younger grades, so all the kids were very accepting and most continued to accept these kids without issue throughout.  The kids graduated and went to college and further!  Good luck and you sound like you will cherish and love and accept your son regardless, so I am sure he will be better than fine!
Thank You for your comments.  with my Son being as smart as he is, I have really no worries that he can go far in life.  My biggest concern is socially.  I think in that regards he fits in pretty well.  But who knows as he gets older.  i'm hoping w/intervention now that it won't be an issue.  I just want him to be happy & to have friends.  He loves to play w/others & is always asking us to play with him.  It's just going to be getting him to understand those social cues & what to do w/them.  Thank you again for the positive thoughts.  
I have a Jon too.  He was officially diagnosed with PDD-NOS a couple of months ago. This journey started almost two years ago. We began intervention early and he has improved greatly. I understand your apprehension concerning his social interactions. Continue his treatment and don't give up! My son's triumphs are coming faster these days. My son has his own personality and sees the world his way. I don't want to change him. I just want to give him the flexibility to maneuver around his disorder. The important thing to remember is that we all learn differently. What works for one child, does not work for another.  You will be his biggest advocate. Listen to your heart and remember that you know your son best. Read everything you can about his disorder.  It will help you make more informed decisions.The best book I read on sensory is called the The Out OF Sync Child Has Fun. I have changed my outlook on raising kids and have accepted the gifts my son has given our family.

Hi I am the mom of two little boys on the spectrum, I am also an adult with aspergers and my spouse has a dx of pddnos. If you ever want to talk I can be found on youtube .. my channel is momto2miracles
have you looked for a social emotional class, social skills group with like children.  usually these groups can be found in the occupational therapy area