Child Behavior Community
Pica interventions
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pica interventions

I am a kindergarten teacher who has a student with pica. He will eat objects such as pencil lead, erasers, clay, pens etc. and I notice it mostly during pencil paper work when his anxiety might be higher.  Are there any suggestions on how to control this?  I have talked to his mother but she just says that she says "don't eat that" or "stop it", but I do not think that is really an intervention or coping strategy.  Any information would be helpful.  Thank you very much.

Kelly
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
171768_tn?1324233699
Speak to your school nurse and express your concerns. Would this warrant a 504 plan? or maybe fall under the umbrella of the school's social workers?
Blank
603946_tn?1333945439
for sure 504 could get him/you 1:1 help

excellent idea- and wasn't there a theory that these kiddos might be in need of certain vitamins or did I dream that?
Blank
thanks for your responses.  he has an IEP already set up so we are going to have a team meeting with everyone on the team and his parents to work together.  i am thinking about having him chew gum or having a sticker reward chart for every 2-5 minutes that he doesn't put something in his mouth.  this way i will focus on the positive than always having me say "stop" or "no"
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Child Behavior Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank