Child Behavior Expert Forum
Please help me fix my ADHD/computational understanding problem.

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

i am 25 years old. i have recently been diagnosed with ADHD; however, it is important to note that I was the one who prompted for the possible diagnosis. I was prescribed Dexadrine, but have not tried it yet. I am concerned about neurotoxicity, as well as the possibility of permanent dopamine damage/reduction. The main issue I am struggling with is computational speed. Simply put, I have much difficulty following what an individual  says when speaking to me and I need to ask them to repeat it because I cannot process the information quickly enough. I find myself in a similar situation when I am reading, where I will have to read it over 5-10 times to understand it and actually process the information. Another facet of my issue is I have trouble making simple links in any given situation. For example, if I meet somebody that I should be asking a question, I will not think to ask the person a question. Another example, if my partner tells me they are going somewhere, I will hear them say they are going somewhere, but will not relate any significant or important information regarding that act. ie. "I'm going to the grocery store", i hear them, but i don't say "oh, really? i have to go somewhere too at the same time so won't have a car". Therefore, I find myself in situations where I do not make the best decisions due to lack of comprehension. For this reason, I am wondering if it is possible that distractibility is not the main problem, and instead, have some other condition that basically inhibits me from making links that are to most people 'common sense' in a situation.
This Forum addresses issues about child & adolescent development, emotional and neurointegrative disorders, behavior, etc. You might post your note on the ADD/ADHD Forum.
Just realized I posted in the wrong section; will post where you mentioned.Thanks.
It seems the ADHD forum has been disabled :(