Child Behavior Community
Please help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Please help

My Granddaughter is 13 months old.I was in the room when she was born and it took several minutes until she finally cried.The Dr never said anything about that.Now she is hitting herself in the head and holds her ears alot.My daughter in law says the Dr says everything is ok.Is this normal behavior?
I do know that sometimes children bang their heads if they are in pain, especially earache, so I would get her ears checked out for infection,perhaps you could go with your daughter when she takes her to the Doctor, how long has she been doing it, and how is her health aprt from this, is she eating , does she sleep okay ?  
My grandson never did cry at birth.  He always held his ears while taking a bottle, but never hit his head.  He is now 3 1/2 and has advanced quicker than others his age at pre-school. They always comment on how bright he is.  Maybe your granddaughter just discovered she has a head!
Hi.  I agree that holding the ears is probably nothing to worry about.  My little ones did that when they nursed and had a bottle.  As to head banging------ well, my older son did that.  As it turns out, his nervous system is a bit off.  He has sensory integration disorder and he is a sensory seeker.  We also had a traumatic birth experience by the way and while I have no idea  nor does anyone, it is one of the listed causes of this developmental delay.  And let me say right off the bat that developmental delay has nothing to do with intelligence.  My boy is very smart.  Sensory seeking means that he does not always get adequate input into the nervous system to process things.  He'll find ways to get that input.  Head banging was an early form.  He also would bang his head when upset as self soothing has been difficult for him.  And this is a direct nervous system response to that.  I have no idea from this brief description if your granddaughter has any nervous system issues, but I'd just watch as time goes by.  There are plenty of things to do that provide this input that does not involve bruises!  You could give her something to hit like a drum now for starters.  Show her how to bang it with her hand.  Watch her milestone development.  My son was actually an early walker with a short crawling period which is actually common in sensory seeking babies. But watch as new things come------ how she does.  Also look for articulation issues in speech as it develops.  

I don't tell you this to worry you-------  my son is doing fantastic.  I just tell you this so that I'm fully answering your question as it rings a bell with my own experience.  Being aware and watching as she develops is the best thing to do. If it is within the nervous system causing her to bang her head, you'll see more things at around age 3 to 4.  

Oh, and of course, this is ruling out that she has an ear infection.  Love up your grandbaby!  They are so precious.  Lots of luck to you.
Thank you for the information.She has been walking since she was 10 months and is trying to talk now.She seems very smart for her age its just the head banging that worries me.Im going to buy her a playschool drum in the morning.Thank you again