Child Behavior Community
Potty Training my 2 year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Potty Training my 2 year old

My son just turned 2. I have started potty training when he was 20 months. He is till not potty trainied. He will not have accidents if I take hime to potty on regular intervals. I have maintained charts writing down his food and pee pee timings. If I miss takinghim to potty he has wet underpants. He tell me poopy when he is going something is better. But pee he would not tell me. Even at school he does not tell. He stays on his underpants if un noticied. The only time he tells me pooty is when I am taking him to school, in the car h will tell me "Mommy potty".

How do I make him tell me when he has to pee? He some times make fuss of going to batharoom, sometime he is fine and at that time he goes to pee.

Can you please help me with his potty training? Or should I try making him stand and pee. Would that help?

Thanks.
-7 Comments Post a Comment
It sounds like he's not ready.

Twenty months is too early for almost every boy.  Girls I think sometimes can train that early.   It's probably that he doesn't realize he needs to pee.

If you wait until he is 2 1/2,  it will probably go very smoothly.  

I have a friend who told me you can start them at 2,  and then by the time they're 2 1/2 they'll be all the way trained,  or you can start them at 2 1/2 and train them in one day.  Your choice.

Worked for us.  

Thanks for advice. I guess I will have to wait. But can I put him back on diapers. I heard it is not a good idea to put them back on diapers.
Thanks for your advice. I will take it easy than getting panicy.
That's a good question,  and I don't know.  

Before,  was he on pullups?  Maybe you could do that in the interim (I think they're really expensive though) so it wouldn't really be like putting him in diapers again,  it would be kind of a mid-step.  

Best wishes.
Girls are easier than boys my daughter was trained wearing big girl panties when she turned 2.  My son was a little slower so we did not start trying until about 22 months.  Dr. gave me a tip not to put pull ups on because it slows the process & still basically works as a diaper.  My son does not grasp things very well so we just took him to the potty every 30-45 min if he went we would sing a pee pee song. " Hooray, Hooray, Hooray, Dylan went pee pee today, Hooray, Hooray, Hooray, Hooray, Dylan went pee pee today!" He loved it! After about 2 weeks he just started going potty on his own and if he did not go in about an hour we would ask him if he had to go and about a week later he was completely their all by hisself & he started singing the pee pee song.  I dont know if you let him pee standing or sitting but we mastered the sitting of course first before the standing.  Both of our kids sleep in the bed with us so when if they fell asleep we would just put them on the potty before they went to bed and he was awake then we would let him use the bathroom and then after he fell asleep we would put a pullup or pastic underwear on him so that he would not know and would take them off and put underwear back on before he was woke up in the morning.  Also make a great big deal out of BIG BOY UNDERWEAR and buy the ones with characters he likes on them.  Best of luck to you!  Also, remeber not to get on to him if he has an accident he is just learning.
It comes with time. My son was almost 3 before he grasp the idea. Just be patient and continue doing things as you do. I would suggest buying pullups do that you don't have to do so much laundry =] instead of you taking him every time try just reminding him. constantly say "do you have to go to the bathroom" if he says no, let it be for another 5 minutes, allow him to say no 3 times then ask him to go try, if he's reluctant, take him, when he goes pee in the toilet.. .praise him and tell him what a big boy he is and how proud you are. Eventually he'll just go when you insist (without your help), and then he'll start to go on his own (without your insisting). Don't get mad when he goes in his pants, it was just an accident. Don't forget it's as unconfortable for him as it is for you to clean him. it will eventually come around. He probably hasn't developed the bladder sensor yet thats why he can tell you when he has to poop and not when he has to pee. I would also suggest you hold off on the "standing up" thing..... that, too, will come with time. HIS TIME!!!! be patient and good luck!!!
okay....Treats always work.Like,the first time give them a BIG treat like a cookie,apples and carmel,skittles,a new box of sgar cereal,then the next few days give them somthing smaller..usually they dont notice if the treat is smaller,keep getting it smaller and then say to them "I have a big treat for you if you keep going for (name a long amount of time like 5 days or a week) then you will earn this treat.You have to promise though,or else you wont get it.." kids always try to earn things.Hope this helps.ask-***@**** can help!