Child Behavior Expert Forum
Potty Training

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Potty Training

My 3 and half yr old son has been potty trained since he was 26 mths old - has never had accidents even at night. But, he will not have a BM in the potty = when he has to go he asks for a diaper and then goes to the bathroom - stands and does his job and then comes to get changed when he is done. He knows that only babies poop in a diaper but want to be one where that is concered. I have even asked him to sit on the pot with the diaper on but he says the poop doesnot come if he sits - we have tried hiding the diapers and scolding and supporting quietly but to no effect. He knows when he has to go and if we are out will hold the poop till we get home and give him the diaper so he never has accidents but no diaper - no poop - what can I do - apart from waitng - please help.
Dear Alka,

Waiting isn't necessarily a bad idea - in fact, it often proves to be just the right approach.

However, as you can tell, you are cooperating, if you will, with the current situation. One option you have is to set a date for the end of diaper use, and stick to it. If you choose to do this, establish a reward system at the same time for your son's use of the potty.
Do not keep diapers in the house, period. Eventually he'll learn that you mean business and he'll have to either have an "accident" or go in the potty.Been there, done that!(sorta)
Tried it - it did not work - he went 4 days without a BM and was so lethargic it was pathetic. Plus, I have a baby in the house and her diapers fit him so I cant tell him that we are out of diapers - any other suggestions?
My daughter did the same thing at the same age.  Finally, "incentives" worked the best.  I picked a toy she had been asking for for weeks.  I bought it, put it in the closet.  I told her as soon as she started going in her diaper if she went in the potty I would give her the toy.  It worked.  I did it one more time with another toy.  After that, she continued going in the potty and we were over the "hump".