Child Behavior Expert Forum
Potty training a Downs Syndrome Child

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Potty training a Downs Syndrome Child

I am working with a 5  1/2 year old Downs child in a public school setting, the child is not yet toilet trained.  Although I have read that Downs children do reach this stage as other children do, the child is still coming to school in diapers and rarely voids in the toilet. I take the child to the restroom every 45 minutes as directed by the mother. The child is getting a little exasperated with the frequent trips, while he enjoys flushing and doesn't mind washing, he couldn't be less interested in why we are there and has only voided one time in the toilet this past week.  (it was his first week at the school)Can you offer any insight as to a better approach?  Is it just to early for this particular child?

Thank you
No, I really can't offer you a better approach. It makes sense to do as you are doing, basically at least. You might try lengthening the time between visits a bit; the 45 minutes is perhaps too frequent. Adding a reward every time he uses the toilet to void would be a useful addition, though it may not carry much weight. It really depends on his ability to pair the reward with his behavior. This might be beyond his capacity. But it won't hurt to try.