Child Behavior Community
Psychological/educational testing for??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Psychological/educational testing for??

My husband and I are concerned about our son, (age 7 in 2nd grade) particularly his performance in school. Our pediatrician referred us to a pychologist/educational assestment expert for testing. We are scheduled to meet with him and then he follows up with an in-class observation and then a series of tests, which is good. We thought he might have ADD (not bad behavior type, more inattentive), but am also thinking he might have ADP, based upon what I've been reading. Should we also have a hearing specialist take a look at him, or will the psychologist's phonological tests, such as CTOPP and TAPS-R) and visual/auditory attention test (IVA) be enough?
His teacher said that he seems to WANT to listen, but zones off a lot -- so he's not doing it to be bad. We've had his speech tested last year and he was borderline, not enough to get into the speech program at school. I think he has an auditory problem b/c he does say "huh" alot, but what kid doesn't!? ;-) He's a 100% speller but he's been increasingly coming home with unfinished work. He says he's "thinking". His main problem seems to always have been comprehension of topics at school. Once we go over them enough, he finally gets them. We just want him to be able to do his best, whatever that is, and don't want him to fall farther behind as he gets older.
-9 Comments Post a Comment
It sounds like it could be ADD or Auditory Processing Disorder,  they often run together.  Sometimes it's hard to tell where one begins and one ends,  they can be similar.

When he says "huh",  do you ever pause and say "tell me what I said".  Usually kids who say huh a lot heard what you said,  they're giving themselves time to think.  OR,  he may actually not hear,  which is a totally different thing,  and worth looking in to.

It's good that his behavior is cooperative.    It may be that he doesn't have problems understand concepts at all,  but in fact,  he's zoning out and not hearing the explanation the first time around and it's the one on one he can focus on.  

I also have a 7 year old, 2nd grade son who has experienced the same type of issues.  We have been working with his school since 1st grade very intently.  When given directions, he can follow the first step but often needs the rest repeated one by one to understand.  You can see the "glazed over" look in his eyes.  It's concerning as you can also tell he is TRYING to understand what you're asking him to do but it just isn't clicking.  Originally his 1st grade teacher was convinced it was ADD....where my husband and I were adament that was not the issue.  Once that was clearly established, we did our own research and found CAPD which mimics some of the same learning issues of ADD.

One of his obstacles has been establishing routines.  Both his 1st and 2nd grade teacher are VERY routine oriented which helps him alot.  In 1st grade, he couldn't remember more than 1-2 steps of a direction.  There were daily tasks he needed to do when he came into the class and he would come in, sit at his desk and forget what he needed to do.  His teacher came up with the idea to take pictures of him doing each morning task - there were 5 - and put them in his locker.  He then would go to his locker if he forgot what was next.  That way he wasn't embarassed or behind what the other kids were doing.  She also encouraged him to do what the other kids would do - lining up at the door, going to lunch, etc.

As first grade progressed and he was more comfortable with his routines, she moved all of his supplies to an empty desk next to his.  This was so when he needed supplies, they were right there.  It allowed him to be able to maintain his focus where it needed to be - on his work.  The other kids had to get out of their seats and pick up supplies, go back to their desks and then start working again.  

His 2nd grade teacher says he is doing extremely well and is convinced it is an Auditory Issue.  My husband and I have done a lot of research on CAPD.  The testing for this was not covered by our insurance company so we delayed the testing a bit to see how he did in 2nd grade.  It is still something we will persue as we feel the same as you do - we want him to enjoy school and don't want to watch him struggle the whole way if there is something we can do to help him.

The school has been wonderful in our concerns and has really helped us through this.  They have been extremely supportive and have gone out of their way to make sure RD isn't left behind.
my son had the same problems he has an exective function disorder. in short poor short term memory. I also work for a public school system. if you want him in speech he can get it just put it in writing and they have to see him. speech is a good therepy for EFD.
Why were you referred for private consults? It is Federal Law that your home school can complete this assessment for you. They also need to check hearing and vision prior to any assessments. Your child is in need of a full assessment. This assessment includes Educational, Psychological (cognitive), Speech and Language, OT and a Nurse. By Federal Law with IDEA you can request these assessments and within 45 school days they have to be completed. The school psychologist can have you and your husband complete some forms called Connors or Acters to help determine with your PCP ADD.
thanks for your comments and help.
i was just about to email our counselor at school with what tests the district can complete and i'm glad to know of the tests you just mentioned above. the add issue was posed by his teacher during our conference. she just simply asked if he'd ever been tested. i am DEFINITELY going to follow through with the district on this one, especially since i think there is some auditory processing difficulties going on. (not just the simple hearing test, b/c he passes those just fine).
i'd rather see what tests we can get "for free" and the qualifiations of those testing, rather then shelling out extra money unecessarily.
p.s. i thought i was posting to the dr. forum, but then it was "full".
thanks again for all your help!