Child Behavior Community
Psychotic behavior?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Psychotic behavior?

My 15 year old has been saving/hiding her used tampons around the house.  She puts them in containers in closets, on top of cabinets, or in other out-of-the-way places.  When I question her she blames the dog, stating that he drags them out of the trash cans.  She will not admit to this problem.  I have tried only supplying pads during her cycle, and she stores these as well.

She currently is seeing a psychiatrist and has been diagnosed as having a mood disorder with bipolar tendencies, opositional defiant disorder, and intermittent outburst disorder.  She is currently taking 1000 mg of depakote and 7 mg of abillify daily.

Her Doctor will not discuss anything with me without her being present.  Even though she is under age, he insists that she be in the room when I have questions.

I am concerned that her saving/hiding such articles may be a symptom of something more severe.  This is a real dilemna.  Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated.  Her father and I are separated and she is the oldest of 6 children.
rsvp, actually,   I've heard of this in two types of cases:

1.  Hoarders who hoard every thing,  all their trash,  pets,  etc.  They live in filthy conditions and can't throw things away.   There are women who have 20 years of sanitary pads in huge plastic bags.  

2.  Girls who hide dirty laundry who are trying to hide "the dirty part of themselves" because they are in a situation where they are in real fear of being ridiculed,  or hurt.  Basically,  they're in hiding and trying to lay really low.    Is she being ridiculed by teachers,  or is she in fear of having to "measure up" in some part of her life so she's trying to hide her "unclean parts".  

Those are just two thoughts - she sounds like she falls into one of those categories.  Best wishes.

Maybe the dog really is dragging them out of the garbage and she's just trying to not let it happen?  Have you ever seen the dog do that?  
Intermittant Outburst Disorder?  Are you serious?  Doesn't EVERYONE have that?  Bipolar TENDENCIES?  She doesn't even have the disorder, just a predisposition to mood swings?  Am I the only one who thinks she might be overmedicated and that's why she's doing this?
RockRose is right.  There is nothing wrong with finding out if these are anxiety related issues (as hoarders and such are likely to have).  My daughter who is bipolar, has similar hoarding problems with garbage, etc.  I thought I was alone!!
KC