Child Behavior Expert Forum
Pulling and eating hair
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Pulling and eating hair

My 2 1/2 year old girl has been pulling and eating her hair. She has pulled her hair when tired or upset since she was just a few days old, and has always enjoyed eating my hair when she could pull it.  The behavior escalated into worrisome about 9 months ago.  I had a difficult preg. and she has a new brother.  I have consulted my ped. he recommended cutting hair and giving her a doll to pull her hair instead of her own.  I have followed this adviced for 6 months and no improvement.  She will eat her sisters hair or anyones she can reach (even barbie hair or a hairbrush).  I am concerned about the possible problems of eating all this hair, and if it signifies a deeper problem.  She has a genetic history of manic depression on both sides of the family, could this be a warning sign?  She is a happy child for the main, but when thwarted can exhibit extreme behavior (vomiting, screaming,hitting)Developmentally she is right on target, and was an extremely early walker and crawler, but maybe a little slow verbally (maybe because she has a talkative 4 year old sister to talk for her).  Do you have any advice? Should I press my doctor to see her again? When should I worry? Thank you.