Child Behavior Expert Forum
Question about a 4 yr old

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Question about a 4 yr old
We recieved a disturbing call from the preschool that our son made some threats. I was in shock at what was repeated to me from the school. I thought for awhile about it, and where he could of heard this. He has never said this before in front of his mother or I, and still hasn't repeated it to either of us. What are the odds of a kid to only say something at school and not at home in front of his parents. The key words used were kill and prison, witch I have never heard in his vocabulary today.We have had a death in the family over a year ago, and have disscused with him about it. When he brings up that family member, Its that he is in heaven with jesus. Not sure if some one is stirring up trouble or if it happened. I just cant believe that he hasn't repeated it at home, the babysitters, or at our families presents.  Is their any case studys or info about a sitiuation on this type of incedent.
Children say all sorts of things that parents don't hear at home. In itself that does not invite concern. The reported behavior itself is the reason for concern. There is no reason to assume anyone is trying to stir up trouble, though of course it makes sense to learn about the details of what happened (the precise comments, to whom they were addressed, who heard them, etc.). Contingent on what you learn, consider a consult with a pediatric mental health clinician.