Child Behavior Expert Forum
Random screaming

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Random screaming

My 8 month old son, in the last 3 days, has started randomly screaming at the top of this lungs.  Not from pain or dis happiness, just loud, ear piercing shoer screams that make your ear drums hurt.  It's like he has found his voice, but it is not "cute" anymore. Is there anyway to curb this, or will it be short lived, and we should just suffer?  This is happening about 40 times a day.  
Maybe I should add he smiles after his screams, and I am telling him "no" afterwards.  
Well Chloe does this - not 40 times a day but a good hour or so at a time a few times a day. High pitched scream mixed it with babbling mixed in with "ma ma ma ma ma" that gets louder with each "ma". I just thought she was shrieking with delight and fascinated by her voice. Stands up holding couch or playpen and really goes for her. Just so proud of herself all the time. DH tries to quiet her/correct her but I have not yet. Maybe if we were in public more I'd realize how loud it is!!!!
You know, other then it really hurts my ears, that's what I am afraid of.   It's all cute to everyone till your sitting in a restaurant, or a grocery store.  I know he thinks its funny  because everyone but me laughs.  I don't think if iit were their child they would find it humorous.  Not for long anyway.
His are more like short, extremely high pitched squeals.
There is no point in attempting to stop the behavior. In fact, if you pay it any attention it will onlt serve to exacerbate it. Now I'm assuming that the screaming is not a response to discomfort, which is the usual reason children of such a young age scream.
No it is not pain or discomfort.  It is a screech of just screeching.  Kinda sounds like a Dolphin chirp.  As I stated in my original post, he smiles afterwards.  It s bothersome when his twin sister is napping, and ge does this repeadly and wakes her. So, this s something that will hopefully pass?
around this age, children are discovering their voice. she's just exploring it, like she would explore any other part of her body or new things she'll learn. if you want her to stop, i suggest ignoring it. like the game most infants enjoy " let's see how many times mom picks up the bottle/sippy cup". if you want them to stop throwing it, stop giving them it. since you can't take her voice, the next best thing is ignore.