Child Behavior Community
Re:Don't know what to make of this!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Re:Don't know what to make of this!

He does not seem to enjoying anything but video games which he loses most the time because of his behavior.  I have introduced him to everything I know. If the child does not have any interest then how can I find him recreational activities to burn his energy and keep him occupy?  I am sure that there are issues from all parties. Where can I go to find help and guidance with my situation.  I live in Raleigh, NC  27613
First of all, does your child have any sort of health issues? Sometimes health issues can play into the issue of not being interested in doing anything. My son has attention deficit disorder so due to this, he gets bored very quickly of everything! My son is very active. He is always on the move. It is hard to keep him interested for any length of time. How old is your son? What types of activities do you think that he is interested in? Have you asked him specifically what he is interested in? What is his behavior like? What types of things will he do? I have read and been told several times that children will behave good or bad just to get attention from whomever, especially mom or dad or whomever is raising them. They really don't care as long as they are getting the attention they want. My son says he doesn't know why he does the things he does but my son is also epileptic and on some powerful medications that contribute to behavior. These are just some examples. I certainly am not a doctor but I hope that I can help in some way. Have you ever thought of taking him to a child psychologist? Maybe they can help. What type of issues are you talking about from which parties? I do not understand. How is your sons behavior in school? What are his grades like? Have you tried maybe some hands on learning techniques such as wood working or sports? I do not believe that playing a lot of video games is healthy nor is watching a lot of t.v. Do you and your son have battles over the games? Do you think that he may be addicted to them? Please do not take any offense to my questions but I have been through something similar with my children. I have 3 children. My son who is my behavior child could probably make up for 10 kids into 1. Have you ever thought of using the game system as a reward for your son? Limiting his time on the system could help. Put some rules into place that he has to find something to do besides playing the games. When he does something satisfactorily to your approval, then he could play for maybe a hour or so. Whatever you decide. This will take dedication on your part. I hope this helps you out. If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck.