Child Behavior Community
Reaction to sugar
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Reaction to sugar

My 6 year old daughter can be emotional at time but I've noticed that after she has had a sugary treat like cupcake or candy she becomes very emotional.

For example we were practicing spelling random words and I gave her a word she couldn't figure out how to spell, she started to get upset and then started crying for a good 20 minutes because she couldn't figure out how to spell one word. Come to find out she had a cupcake earlier at school for a classmate's bday.

This is not the first type she has gotten visibly upset and emotional after having sugar.

Any ideas or suggestions how handle this situation.
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
973741_tn?1342346373
Hi there.  ?Well, sugar is like salt.  Not everyone has a reaction to it but when they do, it should be decreased.  You've seen a pattern with your daughter of emotional changes when sugar is introduced so I would seriously consider trying to go sugar free with her.  In this day and age, many people have sensitivities and things like snacks at school are typically greatly monitored.  Parents can usually send in their own snack for their child.  I've had birthday parties where a mom brought special snacks for her child.  

I'd go that route.  Sugar isn't worth it.  You can't get totally away from it but control what you can.  good luck
Blank
5914096_tn?1399922587
Maybe what you should try it is to eliminate sugar from your daughter's diet and see if she becomes over emotional.
Blank
973741_tn?1342346373
Good point Marklakewood.  Although giving up sugar would make me even more emotional, especially if we are talking about being grumpy!  Kidding.  But in truth, cutting way back is a good test to see how she reacts and I'd try this.  good luck
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Child Behavior Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank