Child Behavior Community
Refuses to poop on the toilet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Refuses to poop on the toilet

I have a boy who has been toilet trained (pee) for about a year and a half.  He has always pooped in a pull-up.  He recently turned 5 and is independent enough that he will get himself set up (change out of his clothes and put on the pull up by himself) and go into the bathroom to poop in there.  He does have a diagnosis of Autism, but I am reluctant to say that because I don't want the Autism to be used as an excuse for this behavior.  At first he would only poop in a pull up, in his room alone playing with his toys.  We gradually (with some resistance at each step) got him to poop in the bathroom without toys.  He will stand next to the toilet.  We have tried to have him sit on the toilet with the pull up on, but he won't.  About a month ago we simply said, "no more pull-ups, big kids make poops on the toilet." and he held it in for nearly a week.  His teacher called to say that he was having difficulty sitting in a chair and was obviously uncomfortable.  We allowed him to go back to the pull-ups and he is back to standing next to the toilet.   Any suggestions?
-12 Comments Post a Comment
Thanks for your response, teko.  I honestly don't think that this issue is directly related to his Autism though.  I am certain that he understands what is going on and what we want him to do.  This is a control issue.
My two year old HATES to poop in the potty because is splashes.  My oldest pooped in the potty from nine months and then later began to pee in the potty; they are both girls.  My daughter will hold it too--until I put a diaper on her--then she disappears and poops.  She comes out stinking.
At least he is near the potty now. Give him some time--he will get tired of pooping on himself--especially since he is much older. Maybe he has a problem with splashing too? I did when I was a girl--I used to hold it as well.  I hated potties.  I still try to use only my home potty.  I'm sure that is probably way too much info--but--some people just have a thing about potties.  He might be one of them.
My oldest daughter has never really ever had an accident at school; however, she had one just the other day.  Why?  All the potties were nasty.  I asked her why she just didn't try to go anyway.  She said that the potty was nastier than her pee.  Technically--she was correct.  The office lady and I giggled about it because--well--it was funny.  Kids do strange things sometimes--and sometimes their strange things make sense.  Take Care.