Child Behavior Community
Repeats what she says.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Repeats what she says.

My 6 year old grandaughter repeats what she says sometimes as much as 4 times or more, even when she knows the answer. She also asks silly questions like what is your name? When she knows our names. Also, she sometimes doesn't seem to hear us. We have had her hearing checked? What is the cause of this behavior?
It seems to me that she is doing this for attention. Children do strange things to get attention. The no hearing thing is probably just this....SELECTIVE HEARING. If you are concerned about her hearing, then by all means, have it tested but most likely there is nothing wrong. Children go through phases where they just seem to need to be annoying. She knows what your names are but still insists on asking multiple times over. Maybe you should do the same back to her and make her feel the way you feel. Get her at a time when she's not expecting it. It may sound childish but this may stop her from doing it to you. Talk to her about her behavior ad tell her how inappropriate it is and how it makes you feel. Maybe her parents should sit down for this conversation as well. Get everyone involved so she cannot play games. Good luck.
My son has some speech issues (he just turned 5), possible very mild PDD-NOS (autism spectrum), specialists do not seem to agree on this topic, probably because it is so mild. As for me, I could care less what they call him as it does not change anything.

His vocabulary is average/above average for his age....The problematic area is reciprocal communication, i.e. being able to initiate/sustain a conversation, or have a social chat. His pronunciation is perfect. He tends to ask a lot of rethorical questions, i.e. "Is this car blue?" when it is in front of him and he is very much aware that it is blue. He knows his colors. He uses it as a conversation starter. Not necessarily to get attention, but to start a conversation.

It may very well be why your daughter does it - after all, this is how he approaches children at a playground.

My son responds to questions most of the time now, sometimes it takes time for him to process the question so he says "yes" and then changes it to "no, I do not want to do XXXX".....I do it all the time as well so no fault there:)

His hearing is fine

Repition and asking "rethorical" questions she obviously knows answers to.....just sounds very familiar

If you ask me, it won't hurt to run her by someone who specializes in speech

It is really hard to tell from your post whether it is a big problem at home/school, and if it interferes with her development/social life beyond just being slightly annoying.....Does she have trouble making friends, socializing with peers, etc.....
If so, visit to speech therapist will do no harm.

I am inclined to think that she probably cannot help it rather than does it for attention. And I do not necessarily think that children "need to be annoying" for the sake of being annoying, they need love, attention, and companionship, and at times act out in strange ways to get it.

P.S. I agree with previous poster that once she starts repeating herself, i.e. repeating question over and over, you only answer it once and then ignore the rest.

I personally don't believe anywhere as many children have "syndromes" and "disorders"  as get diagnosed with them but I can say this isn't too unusual.

Just out of curiousity?  What is her birth order?
She sounds to me as if she is trying  to get some attention, if she has siblings does she receive the same amount of attention, I have heard children do this repeating and it has been when they are seeking to be noticed, check that out it may be she feels she needs some one to take more notice of her.Asking what your name is when she knows it definatly is her asking you to give her more attention .....
I think too that kids of this age are sometimes trying to be funny.  That is there idea of being funny.  They like your reaction.  My suggestion, don't react.   good luck.