Child Behavior Community
Repetitive Speech

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Repetitive Speech

My son is 8 years old. He has been diagnosed with ADHD and has a few other problems like fine motor skills. About a year ago he started repeating his speech. Whatever he says, he repeats to himself under his breath. It's a constant behaviour pattern. It doesn't seem to be a problem but his friends have noticed it and comment on it. Anyone else have a similar experience ?

This discussion is related to Whispered Repetitive Speech.
hi- As you may know, ADHD, sometimes will carry along with it other related type conditions like a OCD, aspergers, toretts. My son has tics with his ADHD and some types of meds can make symtoms (symptoms) worse.  Our doctor asked us not to worry about it until his friends start noticing and commenting.  Now is your time to discuss symptoms again with pediatrician. good luck.
Sounds like stimming - my son used to do that but it went away...And I agree with previous poster - they find lots of links between ADHD and ASD - PDD-NOS (which is kind-a-catch all diagnosis anyway) is often misdiagnosed as ADHD/ADD at yonger age...When was your son diagnosed with ADHD?

And, most pediatricians are absolutely clueless about ADD/ADHD/ASD and differences

Get a child development specialist that specializes in neurology-based disorders

Good luck
I have a healthy 5 1/2 year old son who just started kindergarted about a week ago.  2 days ago we noticed he was repeating himself in a whisper.  It seems to get worse when he is upset.  Sometime he will only repeat the last 2 words of a sentance and sometimes he wil repeat the whole sentance.   It came on very sudden.  Any suggestions????????? from keraj
Since he just started Kindergarten and it is the first time you noticed him repeating himself, just wait it out. Seems that Kindergarten transition is one of the toughest ones in our children's lives.....Since it is getting worse when he is upset, it is very likely a coping mechanism

My daughter is 8 years old and she repeats her last few words in a whisper. When questioned she stated she knows she does it but cannot stop it. She first denied any knowledge and then did it on purpose a few times so I would think it was intentional. Her doctor has never diagnosed her with any behavioral problems. However, even if she were I would not give her any medication. I just would like to know if there are any non-medical ways to treat my daughter, or will she grow out of it. Her repeating also increases with her anger or stress levels...
I've noticed my eight year old does this. Really started quickly. Repeating the last words at least three times. It seemed to happen more when she's tired. I remember doing this too and felt like a record skipping in my head. But I grew out of it. What is this?