Child Behavior Expert Forum
Reverse Sibling Separation Anxiety

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Reverse Sibling Separation Anxiety

My brother and I (only 18 months apart in age) were very close through out our childhood. By the time we hit high school he moved to another state to live with our father. He complained to me constantly about depression and how hard it was for him to function with out me being at school with him. I believe that back then my brother suffered from adolescent sibling separation anxiety (though I am not a doctor of any kind, this is just my personal opinion after researching his behavior). What I'm curious about is after I graduated high school I moved to the same state, and we became close friends again until I got married, which he was against. Is there some reason that now that I'm married and starting my own family that my brother who used to be very close to me now refuses to talk to me or have anything to do with me or our parents? Is there a disorder or problem he has that will cause him to be close to me and then shut me out of his life? If so, what can I do to help him?
This is not an example of separation anxiety, which is not to say that your brother does not display some emotional turmoil or disorder. Only an evaluation would determine that. From your end, all you can do is not reciprocate the rejection, but rather stay open to contact with him and continue to invite him to be involved in your life.