Child Behavior Community
Rocking Behavior

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Rocking Behavior

I see that someone has already inquired about rocking behavior and whether or not it is normal.  The reply said that when there are no additonal factors to cause concern, then there was no cause for worry about the rocking.   My question is kind of a follow up to that.   I have six children and a husband who all rock non-stop all day and sometimes during the night.  Sometimes I just want to scream because there is never a still moment in the day.  Literally they can all be doing some sort of activity such as a game and each of them will be rocking quite frantically back and forth.  Doesn't matter where they are sitting; the floor, the sofa, a chair, or whatever.  Several of my children have ADHD and so does my husband.  They are all very bright.  My husband is a medical professional and owns his own business.  Two of the kids have IQ's in the genius range.  My husband's entire family shares in this rocking behavior.  For the most part, the adults will refrain from rocking when they are standing up or interacting with someone.  However; even then, they tend to giggle their legs up and down as if they just can't be still.   I feel like I am reasonable about not critisizing this behavior, while casually reminding them that the rocking is getting out of hand some times.  Is this extreme amount of rocking a symptom of people who suffer from ADHD?   It seriously is not a slight problem.  I often have to remind one of the kids (even the teenage ones) that the sofa is not an amusement park ride and they need to calm down a bit.  Help !   Is this really normal?    Is there help out there somewhere?   Husband says I'm the one with the problem as obviously I'm the only one not rocking frantically all day and all night.  Suggestions?   Ideas?

This discussion is related to Constant rocking.